Topic: Using RME Fireface 800 as interface and Multiface as ADAT extension.

Hi all,

Is it possible RME Multiface solely as an ADAT extension I/O machine.

I'm using fireware -interfaces and therefore I'm not able to use Multiface as such. So no PCIM cards for me.

Will RME Multiface work as a "stand alone" ADAT (8 I/O) extension unit? I can connect it with in and out adat- cables to my firewire interface (RME FIREFACE 800) and Multiface will map it's analog I/O to the adat connection?

Is anybody (else) using Multiface like this, as an adat extension unit?

Re: Using RME Fireface 800 as interface and Multiface as ADAT extension.

Sorry, no. It has a limited disconnect mode, but still requires a PCI, PCIe, CardBus or ExpressCard for setup.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Will I be able to use it, if I can configure it once? Ater configuring will I be able to remove the PCI card option?

I have computers in my studio aswell as the external PCI card and can therefore control it vie one of the computers which is not my main recording machine.

Disconnect mode requires uninterrupted power supply. Once that is gone, you will need the card again.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the quick answer.

So all in all, I can use it as an ADAT extension unit only if the PCI card is fixed all the time?

This PCI unit can be connected to a different computer than my main recording computer? That shouldnt be a problem I guess?

So I will use my main main computer (MiniMac withoit any PCI slots) with Fireface 800 and then use my PC to control Multiface which works only as an extension unit?

6 (edited by ploughman 2011-11-15 15:02:31)

Ok.

Now I've installed my RME Multifice to my desktop PC via PCI card. It works fine and as soon as I have installed external power supply it should work fine in disconnect mode aswell. I routed all analg inputs to respective ADAT outs (IN1 to ADAT OUT1, 2 to 2 etc.) and vice versa. So now my machine works only as 8 track AD/DA converter.

I have one question for RME guys about the disconnect mode.

Do I need to worry about the latency and DAW dependent setup at all while working with Multiface like this? I have of course made my Multife to act in slave mode and receiving its clock from Fireface, which is my actual Interface (connected to my MiniMac, which takes care of the recording duties).

Will the latency setup for example have any effect to the conversion?
I guess I should put it as low as possible anyway....

No, the latency setting has no effect. The unit is just routing audio straight through.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, I am running the same setup with the mutliface linked via adat to the fireface 800.

I cannot manage to get protools 9 to send audio out through the channel of the mutliface.

any ideas?

thanks

All explained above - the MF will not work without the PCI(e) card. If you have one, please describe the problem more in detail.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Excuse the lack of info, here's the setup and the problem i'm facing:
the MFII is connected to the pci wich is powered by a PC.
the fireface 800 is connected via firewire to my macbook pro running protools 9.
the MFII and the FF800 are connected via adat (respectively in to out and out to in).
the FF800 at 48000 and 24 and the MFII aligns itself at 48000 correctly.
In protools i have created 16 outputs 1 to 16.
yet when i assign a track to output 9 to 16 no sound is coming out.
What i'm i missing/doing wrong?

Regards,

L

"No sound" where exactly? Does the MF mixer show incoming and outgoing signals?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

12 (edited by L77 2012-01-04 21:12:25)

signal is coming on the output of the Fireface mixer on the mac on all outputs. however nothing is going in or out on the MF mixer on the pc. and there is no signal coming out of the MF outputs