Topic: Babyface + Neumann KH120a monitors ;) wow!

Hi,
I just got a Babyface to drive the new Neumann KH120a monitor speakers and I just had to say this is definitively a winning combination.

It was already quite something to get the monitors, but the Babyface drive them like they are made for it. There are of course technical reasons for this, which I believe are related to the fact that both companies (K&H now owned by Neumann and RME) have established a strong reputation in what relates to the precision of the stereo image and the neutrality/fidelity of the frequency response.

So far it's a success story, there is no background noise at all, even at maximum volume. It sounds really amazing (tested with a recording of Mahler's 9th Symphony...)

Anyway, congratulation to the RME team. I was hesitant at first, the Apogee Duet 2 was tempting (but words were circulating about the coloured frequency response), and I thought the Babyface was made in thin plastic... But now I see, it's made for people who can appreciate it.

I also appreciate the humour in the manual!

Re: Babyface + Neumann KH120a monitors ;) wow!

Thanks for the feedback.

best regards
Knut

3 (edited by michaiel 2012-01-09 20:03:32)

I have the same setup, but...I have NO stereo image at all. It doesn't matter if I am in Pro Tools or iTunes on my Mac Pro 10.7.2 my audio sounds like I am stuck in mono. I have checked RME Totalmix and the mono button is NOT selected on the screen. I can hard pan the stereo audio left and right, but nothing more.
I am running the latest firmware and software updates
Please advise...

How does it sound with headphones? How is the cable connection set up?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No stereo separation in headphones
XLR cables from the Babyface directly to each KH120

I am wondering if I have something setup incorrectly in the Totalmix software, but I don't know what it is...

Try a full reset...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I read thru the manual, but haven't found where to do this yet...could you enlighten me where it is..
thanks

Options/Reset Mix/Total Reset

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

That did it!
Can anyone tell me how to set up the rotary encoder button to mute the AN 1/2 Hardware Output?
thanks

Set those as Main Outputs and increase DIM level to max.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

dont mean to jack this thread but i have a simliar question..on the software playback is the width suppose to be a t1.00 or 0.00?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Simon V 2013-03-22 15:23:48)

Thanks for making the Babyface, I'm a happy customer!

Got it connected to Neumann Kh120a in a treated room.

At first I wasn't happy with the sound, the upper high-end (14khz upwards)
did sound slightly harsh with the Neumanns. After trying out several EQ settings
in TotalMix (like -1db at 20khz with 0.7q), I noticed that leaving the EQ flat and
just switching it in gave me the sound I was looking for.

What happens when you switch on the EQ in TotalMix? Oversampling?

PS: I'm working at 44.1khz

Nothing. You either have a broken unit or much imagination...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by Xill 2013-03-23 19:38:26)

Reminds me of an hour I spent this week fine-tuning the automation for a project, then realizing that when Pro tools has input monitoring on a bus it will not read the automation...