Topic: New Macbook Pro, Fireface settings and mixer won't open.

Hi guys. my first post here. Here's my sittuation:

I was running fine on my old iMac, running snow leopard.

I backed up that system via time machine, bought a new Macbook Pro 13", and uploaded all my old user settings settings etc on the new macbook.

i went to hook up my Fireface 800 and realized that somehow the Firewire800 port on the Fireface is broken/pushed in.

So now I'm trying to use the fireface400 port. I have a cable that goes from 400-800/macbook pro.

I turn on the fireface800, then turn on my macbook pro. Click on the Fireface Settings and Mixer on my dock, and nothing happens.

I've tried deleting all the folders and settings on my macbook and reinstalling, but still nothing is working.

Any advice? Is this an issue with using the firewire 400 port on my new macbook? Or is it a driver issue, which means I can use the 400 port for now until i get the 800 port fixed?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm working on a time sensitive project, and need to get back up and running asap.

2 (edited by kasaudio 2011-11-12 22:52:27)

Re: New Macbook Pro, Fireface settings and mixer won't open.

It should be no problem using FW400 using FW800 to 400 cable.

If you have MBP 13 with OSX Lion, you should read this topic.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12731

Long story short: you should install Fireface drivers on a fresh system.

Thanks very much kasaudio. Can you explain to me how to remedy this? I don't quite understand the solutions in the topic you posted. Do I have to set the MBP back to factory and reinstall the Fireface drivers on a fresh system?

After that do I that, can I re-instate all my settings and files from Time Machine?

4 (edited by kasaudio 2011-11-13 23:54:16)

Im not very familiar with macs, but I'll try to explain anyway. On the latest (at least on mine MBP15) there is a backup partition on the hard drive factory installed. You can see it by pressing 'alt' button right after you turn on the computer. Using this, you can install fresh OSX. From that point you can use Time Machine to back up entire system with all your data and programs.

Unfortunately this does NOT work in conjunction with RME Fireface series (FF400, FF800) and OSX Lion. Basicaly you have to reinstal your stuff from scratch on a fresh system. I guess there is some way to copy your data (audio tracks, projects, movies, pictures, etc) from your existing backup, but software and hardware must be reinstalled and set up all again.

Hope it helps.