Topic: Newb question on avoiding latency echo with Babyface

On my previous emu interface I simply pressed a button on the front panel and I heard the direct sound of the instrument I was recording with no latency.

For the life of me I cant work out how to do this on the babyface mixer panel (which is just gobbledygook compared to other interface control panels I have used before eg from yamaha, m-audio etc)

Could someone please tell me if I am using AN1 to record a vocalist how I configure the mixer so that I hear the direct sound with no latency??

Sorry as this must sound like a dumb question for all you veterans!

otherwise I love the babyface

Many thanks

Re: Newb question on avoiding latency echo with Babyface

Headphones out. But there is latency on all recordings. So if you have to record, and account for latency (which is usually the case) you will have to use the ASIO Drivers on the Babyface and Settings in your DAW to record those drivers. I use Sonar so I do not use the WDM/KS drivers or the older ones which I think (guessing now) is MME drivers. Only the ASIO Drivers account for latency so what you record is what you hear playing back with more than one track or even the first track.

Thanks spacealf, but I can't believe I spent this much money on the babyface without the ability in the Totalmix mixer to just click a button and hear the signal I want to record direct without any software latency?

Can one of the moderators please help? I have a recording session coming up! HeadScratch

Many thanks

Sorry, but this is all in the manual. Just click on the output you listen to (it gets brighter = this channel is selected) and raise the fader from the channel(s) you want to listen. Submix mode should be activated. Turn all other faders down of the channels you don't want to listen to - especially the software playback channels.

Youtube tutorial videos.

best regards
Knut

Page 40 of the manual. I like to think of it as I am setting the babyface (just using a computer and TotalMixFX to set it with - the hardware of the babyface). HEADPHONES OUT.

HeadScratch

But I suppose it would not hurt to read the manual again once again or more times just to make sure that it sunk in (which all of it may not have).

fryingpan

There now I feel better banging my head against the frying pan.

spacealf wrote:

There now I feel better banging my head against the frying pan.

Take care! This will hurt...

Regards
Zapp

Regards
Zapp

It's the new sound I was looking for, but I needed a better microphone to record it with (banging the head with a frying pan).

Ha, ha, ha!

Ok guys I can see the sarcasm dripping hehehe but thanks for pointing to the youtube video as that was helpful. I dont think RME is aware but nobody reads manuals any more! I have tons of technology and i dont need to read any of the manuals because the best ones are completely intuitive. The babyface manual is customer-unfriendly I'm afraid for me. But I'm pleased to see this forum is quick to help!

However EMUs interface is still easier to use... but clearly not in the same price or audio-quality league - we must make trade-offs everywhere I guess!

cheers

Emu easier to use? I have both and emu patchmix is way more unintuitive to me (although coming from real consoles and patchbays I can work with both, once you grasp the basics)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

emu patchmix, i dont ever need to use it, Im talking about the tracker pre, all the controls i need are in the front of the box! hey i dont want to even compare the 2, all i missed was the easy "Direct" button and volume control knob. Ill move on.

If you're to much of a newbie/lamer, I suggest you stick with an old cassette player. rotfl
But only if you can find the manual for it.

manuals are dead buddy. nobody bothers anymore with them. whats a cassette player? oh yeah my grandad has one... hehehehe :-O