1 (edited by thomaswho 2011-11-30 14:50:23)

Topic: How do I sum 2 inputs to 1 DAW track, in Totalmix FX

Hi guys,

I want to record two mics onto one track in my DAW (Logic), how can I set this up in Totalmix FX? I`m looking at the matrix view but I`m lost....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas

Re: How do I sum 2 inputs to 1 DAW track, in Totalmix FX

There is no direct way to do so. You could only mix them to one output, activate Loopback, and then record the looped input.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I want to record two mics onto one track in my DAW (Logic)

Stereo track with one left and right or mixed to one mono track?

best regards
Knut

Is there some reason you don't want to just record both tracks and then mix them later in Logic?  Seems like an odd request.

I know this is a super old thread here but I wanted to add my findings for the next guy looking for this info. There is a great reason to do this blend/sum trick in Totalmix FX before you hit your DAW by committing to, lets say, a ribbon mic and a SM57 mic to one clean guitar track in your DAW. This is what the Steven Stevens MOD is which is on the back (blend) of the BAE 1073mp dual preamp (analog) only you're doing it thru TotalMix, digitally. Yes, I know, you could just record both tracks into your DAW, send them to a buss, record from the bus to a mono track and hide all the unused tracks. Not so simple and clean. Something cool about committing to one track for your final guitar tone blending two mics. Only one track to deal with. 

Example:
On my Fireface UC with two mics feeding analog Mic in 1 and 2. Set your mic levels and then send the output of each mic to let say ADAT 8 HW out. On the ADAT8 HW output channel Select “Loopback” to on and now the audio of the two mics will be returning on ADAT 8 HW input chan (you won’t see a meter level ). Now in your DAW create a single mono track and select ADAT8 as your input. You can do the blending in TotalMix of how much you want of each mic source. You can also save a snapshot in TotalMix for this whole layout for a quick way to jump back to this scenario. Hope this helps someone.

You had me wondering for a moment whether Loopback hadn't been invented yet in 2011... :-)
Not bickering or so, but I did suggest that solution at the time already, although you added more details now...
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 994#p64994

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In that case back then you would have just patched an optical cable between the ADAT in/out ports which is just a physical loopback instead of the built in feature. Both work the same as you must know all this stuff already. Cheers