Topic: Synchronizing ADI-8 QS, UFX and ADI-2

Hello all together!

I just recently purchased a UFX to work together with my ADI-8 QS and ADI-2. This gives me the possibility to work with 88.2 khz without losing half of the QS channels (as i would have with my last interface, Digi002).

I made an S/P dif -> AES (and back) adapter for connecting the ADI-2 to the UFX.

Now i would like to know how RME suggests me to get the 3 working together best in 88.2 khz.

At the Moment i have the QS set as master, giving single-speed clock to UFX via BNC. The QS manual (chapter 9.10-Wordclock out) tells me not to use double-speed clocking via BNC right?). The ADI-2 clocks itself to the UFX at 88.2 khz.
That works just fine so far.

Anyway, i would like to know if it's preferable to use adat for clocking (giving out a 88.2 clock).
Or would there be any benefit to use the UFX as Master, as it could send clock to QS and ADI-2 at the same time instead of being the last in the row.

And maybe one more question: At the moment i use the ADI-2 as monitor d/a, which makes it easy to use the QS for feeding my summing mixer in the mix. Do you think it would make much more sense to use 2 channels of the QS or the UFX for monitoring? I would think the ADI-2 makes this job a bit better than UFX, but i'm not sure and didn't have possibility of proper testing so far.

Thanks a lot for making great tools and maybe for some answers on my questions.

Viele Grüsse,
Hannes

Re: Synchronizing ADI-8 QS, UFX and ADI-2

I would have done it roughly the same, except using adat to clock the UFX to the ADI8. That is if you use any of the analogue ins or outs of the UFX (if you only use the digital ins and outs it doesn´t matter). As far as I have read the papers from RME clocking from adat is slightly better then from wordclock (as counter intuitive that may sound). Wordclock is the most universal clock distribution system, not the best. But please anybody correct me if I´m wrong

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Ahh, interesting (the Adat vs. BNC thing), thanks! Seems like i have to do some research on that.

At the moment i don't use any of the Analog In's of the UFX, as 14 Inputs (8Adat + 4UFX-MicIns + 2AES) are enough for most of the Jazz-combos i record. But one reason for buying the UFX was definitely to be able to add 8 additional Preamps to feed the Line-Ins, when needed (and to have 8 more d/a for outboard).

So, as soon as i use the converters of the UFX things would change, did i get that right?
I think i know that the common sense is to use the clock of the machine that does a/d, but in my case i would have conversion done by  3 different boxes, so i would anyway use the ADI-8 QS, since it's the most sophisticated one and i would use it for the most important microphone lines. Does that make sense or is there any advantage in using the UFX as the Master, as it somehow is the center of my setup.

@RME: are there different clock in these 3 boxes, and which should be used as Master for best / most stable operation?

All the best,
Hannes

No you are right! Use the ADI8 as master. (and then forget about clocking, this is a super great setup, better worry about mic setup and artist performances........).

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632