1 (edited by demetrisag 2011-12-16 22:06:35)

Topic: question about sound from totalmix and sound from host through asio

Hello there! since am new here, I'd like to introduce myself first. Well my name is jim and i am from cyprus, a small island at middle east. English is not my native language so sometimes I migh sound a little stupid smile

Well I bought a few day ago a babyface, the sound quality of this thing is astounding! never though I'd actually be able to tell the difference but I do and its mindblowing! my guitat just got some value!

Well my question is this. If play my guitar through the total mix (everything off, effects and the witth knob at zero) it sounds so alive, organic with texture and detail. but If play the guitar through host (asio) and mute the mixer it somehow loses that extra clarity and life that had on total mix. I tried it on reaper and studio 1 both with the same results. well studio one was a tiny little better it seems. I did the test at 96k at both host.

Is this suppose to be happening? its litle annoying to be honest.. well more than little actually..!

If its any help my guitar is line 6 variax300

Re: question about sound from totalmix and sound from host through asio

anyone any ideas pls?
its so annoying especially on my acoustic. through the mixer it sounds oh sooo beautiful.. through host not only not alive bad harsh as well, i can hear the plectrum more than the actual note.

3 (edited by Xill 2011-12-17 18:27:39)

It seems your problem is sequencer-related...

You should try with Pro tools or Logic.
Pro tools has a free 30 days demo (You need an iLok key):
http://www.avid.com/Trial/ProTools

what if i am not on mac?

beside that any other ideas?

Wish I could help you. I'm using Reaper and I don't notice any difference from Total Mix (FX).

Honestly now? do you have good monitors?

I can't say I have that, no.

8 (edited by dainbramage 2011-12-17 21:08:34)

If you can hear the plectrum MORE than the notes on acoustic guitar through your DAW, I don't think it is because your monitors are so good. I think it must have something to do with bit depth or soundcard and/or ASIO configuration within your DAW(s). Did you monitor in 24bit? Did the recording sound different from the actual monitoring?

9 (edited by demetrisag 2011-12-17 21:18:52)

I did monitor on 24bit,

Actually is not just the plectrum I hear more, I just can't hear that aliveness and detail I hear through total mix. Whereas on totalmix the plectrum sound is considerably less and the sound is soo full, i can hear so much detail in the sound. I actually feel what I am playing. I dont get that through reaper

Monitoring and recording sound the same through the host. Exactly the same. But both differ a lot from total mix

You wrote "if I play my guitar", do that mean that you play your guitar live through your computer ? If yes, your problem is latency related. You have almost no latency with Totalmix, and you have probably between 3 to 10ms of latency through the DAW mixer.

Although the delay i get from host is very little to be noticable, i still dont think it justify all that loss of that super quality i get from totalmix. Or is that you are saying its my idea, a game of my brain because of the delay? though i highly douby that

I can't doubt of that  ! ;-)

anybody else? RME stuff?