1 (edited by yeah81 2011-12-19 03:46:49)

Topic: Babyface - noise from Logitech speakers

Hi,

I have a Babyface. My Logitech 2.1 speakers are connected to the Babyface itself to its right sided output and my headphones (AKG 272HD) are connected to the extension cable output. When I set the TotalMix Control Room PH 3/4 out volume to the default 0db I hear high-frequency digital noise in the loudest parts of the music coming from the Logitech speakers but no such noise listening through headphones.  If I press "recall" button on Babyface, the volume of the Control Room PH 3/4 out in TotalMix drops to -10db, so I increase the volume of my Logitech speakers amp to match the previous level of overall volume (but leave the TotalMix Control Room PH 3/4 out volume at -10db) - now there is no noise out of the speakers.

Could you please explain me this phenomena and why I cannot listen to the music with TotalMix main outs set to 0db but only while its on -10db? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong in the TotalMix software. I hope its not a hardware issue..

Thanks in advance.

Re: Babyface - noise from Logitech speakers

If I had to guess (and I am!) - I'd assume the Babyface is sending out levels hotter than the Logitech speakers are designed to handle (driving the Logitech's inputs into clipping).

I don't own a BF, but if it has selectable reference levels like the other RME products do - try setting the line outputs to "-10dBv" or "consumer" and see if that fixes you up.

Of course, there isn't much harm in leaving TotalMix set to -10dB for those line outputs...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: Babyface - noise from Logitech speakers

No need to guess... :-)
These speakers aren't really designed to be connected to professional gear and higher output levels.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME