1 (edited by davebtw 2011-12-20 22:42:26)

Topic: Fireface 800 power supply failure after repair one hour before concert

Last spring, my Fireface 800 failed just after a live concert recording, with flashing LEDs.  I sent the unit to Synthax US for repair, and it was returned several weeks later with nary a comment about what was fixed, but it seemed to function normally.  After using the unit in my studio all summer, we tried a live concert recording last Saturday.  The unit failed in exactly the same way exactly one hour before downbeat!  The very same power supply failure!!!

We salvaged the concert by picking up a new m-audio 2626 (much inferior) and got it running with only a 10 minute delay in the start of the concert.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the repair I had done. 

Is there actually a permanent solution to this well known problem with the RME Fireface 800?  Since my unit is out of warranty, will I have to pay again for the same repair?

Not a happy camper at this point.

-david BTW

P.S.  Edited for content by author.  I have not heard from Synthax, Jeff or anyone else about this issue.  Any comments?

Thanks,

-david BTW

Re: Fireface 800 power supply failure after repair one hour before concert

Did it fail at powering up, or did it power up, worked okay for a while and then died?

Fail at power up.  The LEDs flash, and a soft thumpin noise comes from the power supply.

Simply contact Synthax US by phone or mail and request an RMA again. We regret the inconvenience, but this forum is not the place where we do RMAs etc...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi David,

I'm not sure why you would edit your message to indicate that we are not communicating with you. I replied to your email message 20 minutes after I received it yesterday. The RMA has already been issued and we are taking care of the repair.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.