Topic: Any ideas on work around hissing noise?

I just got my Babyface snow edition and I like it alot. I actually got the snow edition because I was going to use the unbalanced tele in/out on the RCA breakout cable with my mixer. Using my Laptop, everything works like a charm. However, using my stationary computer, the RCA-out has a terrible hissing sound and noise all the time. If I turn the volume up to max, I even get feed-back! The RCA-in works perfect.

I know it is my computer that does something, because the hissing and noise amplifies when I move the mouse, open programs or access the harddrive. However, I pulled out the graphic card and all other cards and disconneced the harddrives, but I still have the noise (just running the computer with motherboard and power supply). The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35 and the power supply is a Crossair.

Any experience from this? I have red about issues with Gigabyte and getting a USB Pci card, but will that really help?

Of course, when I use balanced XLR, it works perfect. But I really want to use the mixer to connect my synths.
Any ideas would be helpful.

Mary Christmas!
David

Re: Any ideas on work around hissing noise?

Hi David,

Your best solution is to use the balanced inputs and recording quality DI boxes to connect your hardware synths to the balanced inputs of your Babyface. Your benefits will be noise free signal path and better tone from your synths.

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Re: Any ideas on work around hissing noise?

Additionally, here is a link to an excellent overview on Audio System Grounding & Interfacing by Bill Whitlock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9M45U87ybg

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC