Topic: microphone fader will change when I hit playback in TMFX.

I own a UFX and I'm quite happy with it. I've been having a problem that isn't critical but annoying. When I record vocals i have the input fader up in 2 headphone mixes and all the way down on the main outputs for obvious reasons.  When I hit playback to listen to the recorded track through the main outputs the Mic input fader jumps up into the red. Luckily no feedback but close quite a few times. This scenerio has been happening for about a year. I've updated drivers, firmware and TMFX. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: microphone fader will change when I hit playback in TMFX.

You hit playback in what? Sounds like ASIO Direct Monitoring to me, controlling the input faders.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm using Samplitude 11 and now Samplitude Pro x with usb asio rme driver. I have hardware monitoring(not monitoring in DAW) set within Samplitude. I track in the control room using headphones. I switch to my monitors to check.
the Vocal mic is in input 3 (I've had the same problem using input 9-12) and the fader in TMFX is up to about -10 in phones 9/10&11/12. Input 3 fader is all the way down for the mains submix. When I listen back and hit play(space bar) in Samplitude, Input 3 fader jumps up in the main submix past +3 into the red.
     Why is TMFX's mixer changing?

Try controlling the monitor-volume of your mic input directly in samplitude with the channel fader. TMFX will duplicate the fader level, acording to the output chosen in either Samplitudes Master Out or the Aux Outs.

Also, if you track with headphones: Chose the headphone output in samplitudes master (9/10 instead of 1/2) for tracking.
This way, all the armed/monitored inputs in the mixer will be routed to your headphones.
After tracking, switch output to 1/2 again.

This only works in Hardware Monitoring. In Software/FX/etc. monitoring, everything gets sent to the master out of Sams Mixer.
That's ONE point where I found Samplitudes Manual to be quite good ;-)

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

5 (edited by basssalad 2012-01-07 03:35:04)

Hello Matthias and Frank,
   I had a session today and had time to try what you were saying. I had UFX input 3 to DAW mixer, DAW mixer master output 9/10 which routes the output through software playback 9/10 in TMFX.  Changing Samplitude's main output from 1/2 to 9/10 doesn't change anything other than routing it to software playback 9/10 in TMFX. All the outputs in TMFX are identical. I still get the same glitch. When the take is done the singer and I listen back to the take through the monitors  Why does the fader jump up to +6? I mute channel 3 to prevent feedback in the monitors. On TMFX's main output submix I have input 3's fader all the way down.. The way TMFX's mixer is set no output from channel 3 should be going to the main output, only to outputs 9/10 and 11/12 for headphones. Is there some feedback loop? Is some midi issue changing the mixer? I'll not using a midi controller or keyboard,Ill disable midi in Samplitude and TMFX and see if that helps.
                                    thanks

What you see is either a MIDI command sent by Sam, or an ASIO Direct Monitoring command. For the first disable all MIDI inputs in TM FX to check. For the second, there must be an input monitoring be active in Sam's mixer that causes that input (monitoring) routing. I have Sam 11 myself and it usually does not do this, so I doubt it is a bug in there. And it can not be a bug in TM FX, as it does not know when you hit play in Sam (it does not know anything outside of itself).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME