1 (edited by soss 2012-01-04 18:32:49)

Topic: ADI-2 vs. Multiface II performance difference?

Just wondering why somebody would choose an ADI-2 over a Multiface unit. Same price but the Multi has more options, obviously. Will the ADI give better results both in and out?

And how about with a 9632 card? Same or different results?

Also, can the Multiface be used as a DI?

Thanks.

Re: ADI-2 vs. Multiface II performance difference?

Hi,
The Multiface is not a stand alone AD/DA converter. It requires the HDSP PCI or HDSP PCI-e card to function.

The ADI-2 is just a stand alone AD/DA converter. It is not an audio interface like the Multiface or HFDSP 0632 PCI card.
It can be used with any digital device including the Multiface or HDSP 9632 card.

Technically the AD/DA quality is a little better on the ADI-2 but does not have the functional of either the Multiface HDSP card combo or the HDSP 9632 PCI.

If you just need a high quality stereo analog audio interface then the 9632 PCI would be a good choice.

If you need high quality 8 analog I/O audio interface then the Multiface/HDSP PCI card would be a good choice.

If you need a higher quality stereo analog audio interface then the HDSP AIO card pr the Babyface will be a step up feature and quality wise from the HDSP 9632.

If you want a higher quality 8 analog I/O audio interface the the Fireface 400, Fireface UC, Fireface 800 or Fireface UFX would all be step ups in both sound quality and features.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Chris, though you mention that the units in the Fireface line are all a step up in sound quality and features from the Multiface, could you compare the latency between the two options?  The Multiface with a PCIe card would provide lower latency than a Fireface (firewire) interface, correct?

Also, I believe that the Fireface units have pres, but the Multiface and ADI-2 do not, so this is something to consider.

Finally, in terms of sound quality between the Fireface and the others mentions, is this speaking in terms of A/D conversion only?

4 (edited by soss 2012-01-06 04:24:55)

Can the multiface be run off the 9632 with an optical cable? Better sound performance over the HDSP PCI?

Also does the mulitface not have pres? Just the babyface and fireface series?

All I need is the two channels at the moment so I'm thinking the babyface might be the better option.

Soss, the Multiface can only be used with the HDSP or HDPSe card.  The difference between these is not sound, but latency.  HDSPe uses a PCIe connection, which is faster than PCI, giving you lower latency.  At least, this is my understanding.

The Multiface has no preamps.  You'd need to run from the XLR of external preamps using an XLR to TRS cable.  If you only need two channels, RME pres are probably good enough for you.  I wouldn't recommend getting anything of higher quality unless your needs are such that you'd want want the quality of third party pres that comes at $1,000/channel.

If you're using VSTs that you want to hear in as close to real time as possible, PCIe is your best bet.  Firewire is not as fast and USB is even worse.  Once again, this is just my understanding from much internet searching.  I based my purchase of the Multiface II and PCIe card on all of the above.  I've only read rocking reviews all over the internet.

If you're just recording yourself and a guitar, for example, and don't need to monitor software instruments or effects through your computer, you'd be better off saving money and getting the Babyface.  Then you won't need to buy the $500 sound card or additional pres.

If you think you're going to want more than two channels in the future (or the ability to monitor at extremely low latency), go with the Multiface.  You can get two of these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/  Never used them but they're said to be insanely good for that money.  Search for threads on Gearslutz.com

6 (edited by soss 2012-01-06 05:09:06)

Thanks.

I will be recording guitar and bass and already have a U5 preamp. I was thinking that if I got a Babyface I wouldn't need the U5 but i would have to experiment to be sure.

I also plan to do some full mixes w/ lots of VST plugs, and looking for excellent output sound. My current TC KONNEKT 6 doesn't have that (very shrill both I/O).

Right now the Multi+PCIe sounds like the best option, but I would have to keep the U5 in order to record.

Would I really notice much difference b/t the PCIe and the PCI card though??

Hi,
The Fireface series and the Babyface perform very close to latency of our PCI and PCI-e because of how RME designed their drivers.
From what you are wanting to do the Babyface would be the best bet if you want 2 channels of high quality AD/DA and the added bonus of great sounding Mic Pre and instrument inputs.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

8 (edited by soss 2012-01-06 06:19:25)

Thanks again. Also checking out the AIO. Would the babyface perform just as well as far as AD/DA conversion, jitter, etc? Does the AIO include the breakout cable??

I just want to check out all options before I commit.

You might want to check if you can bypass the Babyface pres, or you won't be able to use your Avalon.

Hi,
Yes the Babyface as well as the AIO.
The AIO comes with the Balanced analog break out cable.
It does not have Mic Pres. Only line level.

The Babyface works at line level when you do not raise the gain on the input.
When the gain is all the way down it is a line level signal so you can use your Avalon or any other Mic Pre amp. I would suggest spending some time using the Mic Pres built into the Babyface. They sound quite nice and you may find yourself using them over the Avalon for some applications.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas