Topic: Babyface Bit-Exact with Windows 7 64-bit

Hi All,

I have read around here that I should have no issues achieving bit-exactness with the Babyface adapter, however I can't quite get it.

My previous setup was using the RME DIGI96 on Windows XP with Adobe Audition 1.5 – with this I have no problem achieving bit-exactness.
Now I am using the RME Babyface with Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Audition 1.5.  Unfortunately I am seeing random samples that are either one bit more or less than they should be.

My test setup is a physical loopback from SPDIF out to SPDIF in on the Babyface.
I then play an infinite loop of one sample with a particular value (ie, 5000) in one instance of Adobe Audition.
In a second instance of Adobe Audition, I record and find sample values of 5000, 4999 and 5001.

I’ve examined my dither settings and those sort of things in Adobe Audition on my XP setup vs. the Windows 7 machine and everything seems to match (looks like all default settings).
Before testing in the TotalMix utility I have executed “Options -> Reset Mix -> Total Reset” as well as the “Straight Playback” reset command.
Also, I am up to date with all drivers, firmware, utilities.

Can anyone please help advise as to why I am having these problems?

Thanks!

Re: Babyface Bit-Exact with Windows 7 64-bit

Been playing with this more and I think the problem is only when I am trying to save as 16-bit audio.
Looks like when working with 32-bit or 24-bit audio I can achieve bit-exactness.
But if I specify to save as 16-bit then I have the dither issue.

FYI I was able to achieve bit-exactness by using Reaper instead of Adobe Audition 1.5.
Once I correctly setup my wave format to 16-bit I no longer had any issues.

Did you use ASIO or WDM? That might explain it already. ASIO must be 'bit-exact', WDM can but might not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I think that was part of the problem.  I guess Adobe Audition probably used WDM (or something else) by default that wasn't exposed in preferences anywhere.  With Reaper I was able to specify ASIO.