1 (edited by SkylineUK 2012-01-07 18:17:58)

Topic: Can't play music CDs since installing my HDSP AIO

Since installing my AIO I get an error message when trying to play an audio CD in my PC.  Control Panel says the drive is working ok except I can't burn blank discs anymore either. (!)  I can explore the disk's contents and they are listed as .cda files but WM Player throws up an error message if I double click them to try and play them.  Is there a setting I need to change?  Is it something to do with the CD player needing digital and I've somehow blocked that with installing the AIO?  (I only use the analogue ins and outs of the AIO for music recording and that all works fine).

Re: Can't play music CDs since installing my HDSP AIO

What is the exact error message? The HDSP driver does not afect CD drive operation.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by SkylineUK 2012-01-10 18:44:23)

Re: Can't play music CDs since installing my HDSP AIO

I solved the problem and it was nothing to with my AIO, but I'm posting the solution here just in case another poor soul experiences the same weird glitch:

There's a helpful article here:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-windo … nd-pop-up/

After spending ages finding, checking and tinkering (in a controlled manner of course...) with the Autorun stuff in the Registry per the above article, to no avail, the solution was in fact in section 2. viz:

"2. Ensure that Shell Hardware Detection service is running.
Type service.msc in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic.
Else, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly."

My Shell Hardware Detection service was not set on Automatic and not Started...
So how in the name of God did that service change its settings all by itself???? It wasn't me because I had no idea what or where it was, so therefore it must have been something else - a by-product of installing some software or a virus I can only assume. I got my ESET Nod32 to scan every single part of my system and it turned up with zero. So, the mystery will remain unresolved.