Topic: RME HDSPe madi and Alphalink SX into Shadow Hill Equinox

Hey guys I was hoping someone could enlighten me on a setup question that I seem to be having some difficulty with - I have searched the forums and noticed a few of you have similar setups - particularly with this converter/sound card combination.

I believe I have the RME HDSPe setup up correctly (I'm seeing the all the madi channels in total mix and getting analogue audio in and out of the Alpha Link). I would like to use the first 16 analogue channels out of the Alphalink into the Shadow Hills Equinox summing mixer (also using as a monitor controller) - and use the remaining 8 channels on the alpa link for various various outboard effects - both Analogue and AES.

My question is: Does anyone who owns the Alpha Link and uses the RME know if it is possible to run both AES and Analogue on the separate slot "c"s on the Alpha Link and  route them in the RME ?

I realize the Alpha link defaults to AES first - I changed it in the connection mode - but can not seem to get a working AES signal out for some reason. I am wondering if there is clocking issue that I have overlooked that may be preventing this??

Any comments would be appreciated

thank you

Jack

Re: RME HDSPe madi and Alphalink SX into Shadow Hill Equinox

Hi Jack,

Yes this is all configuration stuff on the Alpha Link.

When the Alpha link is setup correctly as a MADI device then it will be 48 channels. 24 analog and 12 AES stereo channels. Any channels past 48 are empty and unusable.
The latest manual for the Alpha link has details on setting the channel order, MADI options and clock options.
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/docs/XLo … a-Link.pdf

Typically when I've setup Alpha Links it would be Analog 1-24 and AES 25-48 as the channel order. MADI set to 64 ch mode and the external clock source. SMUX mode on if your dealing with 88.2 or 96k.

Make sure you are using the latest firmware for the Alpha Link. Some of this is not possible with older versions.

Their main support email contacts are familiar with setting up an RME MADI card and can help beyond this.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: RME HDSPe madi and Alphalink SX into Shadow Hill Equinox

Thanks Chris,

Yes I have set the connection mode for analogue on the first 24 channels. I am not using anything above 48k ... unfortunately the firmware is 2.5 and I believe the latest version is 2.9.

My understanding is I would need a mixpander card connected through the expansion port to update the Alpha link though ... is that correct or is there a work around for us RME card users? I can not seem to find any info - I just sent some emails out to tech support.

Thanks
Jack