1 (edited by lanstrad 2012-01-11 03:27:58)

Topic: Mac mini Server and FF 800 ?

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini Server (2011 - i7, quad core) and use Boot Camp to run WIndows 7 and OS X Lion.

(Pls avoid telling me that I should opt for a Mac Pro - I don't have $3,000 to spend on this wink

Anyone has experienced such a setup with FF800 and have comments?

I have started to experiment with a Mac mini (basic model) and it seems to work fine with the FF800 and Pro Tools. Idea is that I want to keep Sonar X1 on Windows 7 x64 and have a solution to switch faster to the Mac fro ProTools, accelerate OMF swings from one to the other without having to unplug/replug everything all the times...

Is it possible with such a setup to switch from Win to OSX without rebooting the FF800 ? (Well, if it's just a shutdown of the RME rather than all the physical acrobatie I'm doing now, it would'nt be that bad...)

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Rob

Re: Mac mini Server and FF 800 ?

Hi Rob,
There are quiet a few choices between the Mac Mini and  Mac Pro.

Pro Tools 9 and 10 run just as well or better depending on the PC's hardware so not sure why you would need to switch back and forth between Mac and PC. You can get a full 17 Tower that will be as fast as the Mac Pro for the price of the Mac Mini server.

The Mac Mini should be fine technically with the FF800. The Mini is the same guts as the Mac Book CPU wise. How well it will run boot camp I don't know. Have come across anyone using the newer versions with Win 7.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas