Topic: Fireface ufx as stand alone playback

I have a very basic question.  As a stand alone unit we have been able to record all our channels, 10 of them, to a USB stick.  Without use of the total mix or the Matrix is there a way to play that entire recording back using the controls on the fireface UFX.  If so, how or if it is too lengthy to describe is there a reference you can provide that gives instruction.  Currently I have a monitor connected to Main Out 1 XLR.  When I took the USB stick with the recording that was done on the UFX and hit the play button got nothing.  I would have expected all channels to play back through the main but that was not the case.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Re: Fireface ufx as stand alone playback

Yes, the UFX can do this from the front display. 'Playback', which means the DURec one, can be assigned and controlled for all inputs and outputs. Please check the I/O menus. Hearing all channels on the same stereo output requires to playback within the input and then set up a mixdown of those channels to the desired stereo out - exactly like in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have a followup question about recording software used in Windows 7.  This might get slightly complicated but please try to bear with me.  I am trying to set up the sonar software to record from the RME hardware inputs. 

I was going over the RME manual on sending inputs to software.  On page 16 you have an image of a software dialogue box showing the Fireface USB settings.  In that image their is a check box for DSP, EQ+D for record.  Do I check this option if I intend to send the hardware inputs to the Sonar Software? 

The reason I ask is currently this is not checked in my configuration.  Although, within the Sonar software, I am able to select the various hardware input channels for recording and I am getting signal on these channels.  When I look at the total mix software I can see that my hardware inputs and outputs are both available for manipulation but the software playback shows no signal from any of the hardware inputs. 

The video produced by RME with respect to using Sonar for recording indicates that signal from the software channel needs to be routed to to an unused hardware channel and then enable the loopback on that hardware output channel.  When this little video begins the software playback on the video is showing signal but in my case I have no such signal.  So my question is, if I check the DSP option in the USB settings box will my software playback channels become available for re-routing and loopback.  Hopefully I have been sufficiently clear in my question.

Hi -- just had my first live recording session with my Fireface UFX.  I'm having the same sorts of difficulties that sheldonr mentioned -- recording works great (14 channels), but I only get a few channels back on playback.

I'm more than willing to set up TotalMix or using the front panel to play all the recorded channels to mix back to output 1&2, but I don't quite know where the multiple playback outputs appear to mix them. 

Would you mind sharing a bit more step-by-step here?

Thanks!

I would like to second hollisc question. I can't find how I can control the playback of individual tracks and the "Play Channel" assignment is very mysterious.
Could you please explain how the tracks from USB are routed?

After some experimenting I found a workable solution.
The UFX numbers the tracks in sequence i.e. the first channel from the left that is recorded becomes track 1 no matter what the channel number is and so on. I setup the ADAT inputs which I was not using with "Channel Play" (should be called "Track Play" really) 1 through 16. I only recorded 13 tracks. This created a usable playback mixer. CAUTION the meters do not show any levels of the recorded signals only the output shows levels.
I hope this helps!