Topic: hdsp 9632 input and output default dsp settings?

Hi all,

I'm new here and I m very happy about that... my 9632 is wonderful peace of equipment, it does great job for me. Thx RME for that...

And I m wondering... What is the default input level and output level dsp settings for hdsp 9632? Couldn't find anywhere and there no info in manual...

Input Level:
     Lo Gain
     +4  dBu
     -10 dBu

Output Level:
     Hi Gain
    +4  dBu
    -10 dBu

Thx
Milos

2 (edited by shomyca 2012-01-12 21:18:17)

Re: hdsp 9632 input and output default dsp settings?

hmmm...

I know that there is quality loss such as less dynamics, depth,... when lowering volume of sound card via the TotalMix of the sound card... digitally, pre DA... yes?

So, what I mean to ask is:

Is there a quality (bit rate, depth...) change when you change these Input Level, Output Level, and Phones level settings...

Phones:
      0dB
     -6dB
     -12dB

Input Level:
     Lo Gain
     +4  dBu
     -10 dBu

Output Level:
     Hi Gain
    +4  dBu
    -10 dBu

I have problem especially with phones... when I use monitors I can lower the gain on them, beacuse of the TotalMix 0dB...

But these Phones settings is only way to lower the phones output... and with both the totalmix and dsp settings odb, its too loud...

Thx
Milos

There is no default, and no "correct' setting really. The setting should be changed based on what you connect. These are typical levels you would use in the studio. +4 is balanced, -10 unbalanced, and hi/lo gain is for maximum headroom.

If the Phones out is too loud, try the -6 or -12 setting (lower output level), and if it's still too loud, just pull doen the fader in TotalMix. No harm there.

There is no difference in the quality of the cards output based on the settings.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by shomyca 2012-01-12 23:20:49)

Thank you very much Jeff,

from manual:

24.2 Line Outputs

"To maintain an optimum level for devices connected to the analog outputs, the HDSP 9632
internally uses hi-quality electronic switches, which allow for a perfect adaptation of all outputs
to the three most often used studio levels."

24.1 Line Inputs

"One of the main issues when working with an AD-converter is to maintain the full dynamic
range within the best operating level. Therefore the HDSP 9632 internally uses hi-quality electronic
switches, which allow for a perfect adaptation of all inputs to the three most often used
studio levels."

I guess that these "electronic switches" are there to change levels without changing the bit depth... and overall quality of the signal, relatively speaking... yes?

thx
Milos

shomyca wrote:

I guess that these "electronic switches" are there to change levels without changing the bit depth... and overall quality of the signal, relatively speaking... yes?

Yes.

well thank you very much smile

milos