Topic: How can I connect 4 microphones to the Babyface?

I am using 2 Grace preamps with 2 Schoeps Collete microphones to record a grand piano via Babyface to my mac. 

I have the stereo set of Schoeps going to input I and 2 about 1 m from the open lid side of the grand piano 120cm apart 160cm from ground.  In the past I used the phantom power from the Babyface but currently I am using the power on the Grace preamps.

I want to add 2 or 4 CharterOak E700 microphones to pick up the 'room' from various places and add them to the mix in a controlled way.  They will need first of all phantom power and somewhere to connect to.  Is this where I'll need a mixing desk?  (I have never used one).  Is there another way to connect multiple mics to one input and also receive phantom power in the other direction?  Can I utilize the line in at the side of the Babyface for an additional microphone.  If so, where does that input get controlled in TotalMix?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Re: How can I connect 4 microphones to the Babyface?

This is not possible. The Babyface provides 2 analog inputs - not more. The instrument input on the right side can be switched to the analog input 2 (= alternative Hi-Z input). You can connect 2 mics or one mic and one electric guitar/bass to the Babyface.

Fortunately the Babyface includes a digital I/O. With SPDIF fomat = 2 additional channels, with ADAT format = 8 additional channels. To connect more mics to this I/O you need an ADAT converter with built-in mic preamps, like the RME OctaMic II. But any 3rd party ADAT converter with built-in mic preamps and phantom power support will work.

You don't need a mixing desk to recording more channels. If you need one the Babyface provides with TotalMix already a high-end mixer with all features.

best regards
Knut