1 (edited by jemaliahz 2012-01-15 15:50:12)

Topic: UFX: Driver mess

Hi,

Can someone tell me that why there's 2 drivers to UFX?

UFX is mentioned on both. Why? It's extremely confusing as version info is so different like v3.02 vs 1.63 big_smile

11/23/2011 Mac 32 and 64 bit driver for Fireface 400/800/UFX, v 3.02.
11/22/2011 Mac 32 and 64 bit driver for Fireface UC/UFX and Babyface, v 1.63.   

So which one I should use? I chose newer one.

It's also weird that if you go to downloads - Up-To-Date Drivers -> USB Series you can only choose:

Mac OS X Intel driver for Fireface UFX, Fireface UC and Babyface, version 1.63. Supports 10.5 in 32 bit, 10.6 in 32 bit/64 bit and 10.7.

if you go to firewire download then:

Mac OS X Intel driver for Fireface 400 / 800 / UFX, version 3.02. Supports 10.5 in 32 bit, 10.6 in 32/64 bit and 10.7. This driver requires firmware 1.70 (FF 400) and 2.77 (FF 800) or higher.

What if I want to use both interfaces? Should I always get newest one?

How this can be so confusing big_smile

-J-

Re: UFX: Driver mess

The FireWire driver is shared with other FireWire devices, and the USB driver is shared with other USB devices. If you use both, install both. If you only use USB, only install the USB driver.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ooh, did I finally get it? Both interfaces (USB and firewire) needs different drivers? If so, why it can't be on single driver pack including both drivers? I assume TotalFX version is always same on both driver packs?

I assume firmware is always just 'one' and supports both interfaces?

-J-

Yes.
Because of the way RME unifies the driver for different series. I agree it is confusing at first, but don't see a better way.
Yes.
Yes, the Flash Update Tool has firmware for the unit, FireWire, and USB inside.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Another thing to consider is download size. We have many thousands of users, and doubling the driver archive for something that most (!) users don't need helps no one, not the downloader, not the bandwidth on our servers...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME