Topic: Fireface 800 dead on arrival...

Hi - hope someone here can help!

I've just arrived at a recording gig with my rack mounted FF800 - was working AOK this afternoon. It's running off a power conditioner and has a FW800 drive connected - thats it. When plugging in the conditioner and switching on, I got no host or I/O LEDs but flickering signal LEDs on inputs 7-10 and a regular bassy clicking sound from the headphone output, present with the volume turned down but louder with the volume up. The rack was carried in a taxi back seat (its NYC) and want subject to any serious jolts.

Any suggestions? Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm doing the gig with my backup stereo recorder but I'd like my Fireface back!

Graeme

iMac i7 3ghz, MacBook Pro i5 2.4GHz, Fireface 800, Apogee & DAV preamps

Re: Fireface 800 dead on arrival...

Additionally, the mac cannot see it when connected and there is no FW800 pass through.

If this doesn't go away, please return the unit for service - the inconvenience is regretted...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

4 (edited by beadgc23 2012-01-28 02:56:36)

It certainly is :-) at least by me. Seriously, thanks for the response. When I took it out of the rack i can hear a loud ticking (c 200bpm) from the vicinity of the power supply, so I'm hoping it's that rather than a motherboard issue.

But...go away? Is that at all likely?

I did notice that the last time i logged in to this forum was 2008, and I've been working with this interface on a regular basis, 3/4 times a week, since i bought it in 2007. Which means this is the first serious issue I've had in 4 years of hard usage! Not many things I can say that about...

No, I don't really expect it to go away all by itself... So give the (otherwise) trusty device a short holiday, then you'll have it back in good condition for may more years, hopefully.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME