Topic: Firewire 800 w/ Mac OS X -- Host light problem -- PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello -- I have had my Firewire 800 unit for years now...  Used to connect it to a PC laptop via a Firewire 400 cable (the laptop didn't support 800) and I never had any issues, minus a little latency from time to time...  Fast forward to about a year ago - I bought my first iMac desktop, running OS X (10.6.8) -- which I figured would be the end of all my historical PC-related headaches. 

Here are my specs:

Model Name:    iMac
  Model Identifier:    iMac11,2
  Processor Name:    Intel Core i3
  Processor Speed:    3.2 GHz
  Number Of Processors:    1
  Total Number Of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    4 MB
  Memory:    4 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed:    5.86 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:    IM112.0057.B00
  SMC Version (system):    1.64f5

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed:    Up to 800 Mb/sec
Vendor 0xA35 Device 0x101800:
  Manufacturer:    0xA35
  Model:    0x101800
  GUID:    0xA3500923EDFD5
  Maximum Speed:    Up to 800 Mb/sec
  Connection Speed:    Up to 800 Mb/sec
  Sub-units:
Unknown Unit:
  Unit Software Version:    0x1
  Unit Spec ID:    0xA35

So, I thought now that I have a Mac w/ Firewire 800 capabilities, I would take advantage and upgrade my system...  I bought an 800 cable and got everything connected.  I'm not sure if the problem has been present since day one or not (as it took a sec to get everything properly set up) but I have had a huge problem with the red "Host" light turning on every time I boot up the Fireface for some time now. 

I previously emailed RME tech support who told me that it could quite possibly be an issue with the actual 800 cable, so I borrowed another cable from a buddy and miraculously the problem went away...  for a brief period.  Needless to say, I was upset to see that the issue had come back! 

Since then, I have checked RME's website frequently to ensure that I have the latest drivers (currently running version 3.06 w/ v 2.77)  but nothing seems to remedy my problem.  In fact, it actually seems worse now.

Another thing that RME's tech suggested was trying the other 800 port on the back of the Fireface unit -- which I have also given a shot.  But still, no luck. 

I'm really bummed out because I thought, "now that I have a Mac with my Fireface, things should run like clockwork" -- but not the case.  Crazy enough, my PC never gave me these issues...  In the meantime, I can't work on ANY music.  Constant drop-outs make it near impossible to even audition sounds, let alone construct tracks...

Oh, I'm primarily using Reason/Record (of which I also have the newest versions) with an Akai MPD24 connected via USB, as well as a Korg MS2000B keyboard connected via MIDI.  Other connections to my Mac include a few additional USB inputs -- my Propellerhead (Reason) authorization key, a dongle for my wireless mouse, an external hard drive (which I never even turn on) and that's about it...  There's only one Firewire port on the back of my Mac.

Anybody have any suggestions/solutions for me???  I miss the days of actually being able to create... now I just troubleshoot, get frustrated and turn my computer off.  Sucks.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Re: Firewire 800 w/ Mac OS X -- Host light problem -- PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi,

Does your system have any hard drives attached to the firewire or USB ports?

Have you tried running it via Firewire 400?

If you laptop has a Firewire 400 port then use a the Firewire 400 connection like you did on the PC.
There is no benefit to using a Firewire 800 port with a single FF800. It is only needed for running 2 FF800s.
If your laptop does not have a 400 port then use a 400 to 800 adapter or cable.

Have you tried this on another Apple Computer?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thank you for the response! 

I have a USB external hard drive attached to one of the USB ports on my Mac, but I don't ever turn it on...

I am actually not using the PC laptop these days because the video card crapped out on me (which contributed to my Mac purchase...) Originally, when I had the Fireface connected to said laptop, I had it running through a PCI card adapter.  Anyway, all that said, I can't really do much testing on it.  But, if the 800 (as opposed to 400) connection is not of any benefit in my situation (and maybe even a cause for error with my current setup???)  -- then I will downgrade to the 400 connection and see if that makes any difference... 

I haven't tried my Fireface on any other Apple computer.  It's kinda just set up in my house and hasn't seen much traveling... 

Thanks again for your help!!

Hello -- had a quick question...  So, the Firewire port on the back of my Mac is an 800 port.  I should get an 800 to 400 cable, to connect at 400 on the back of the Fireface?  Should this (hopefully) make a difference with my current situation?

Thanks again!

UPDATE:

So, I took back the faulty Hosa Firewire 800 cable that I had originally purchased... I had intended on trying to swap for an 800-to-400 cable - so that I could test out connecting to the 400 port from the 800 port on my iMac... However, I was only able to get another 800 cable.  Needless to say -- and knock on wood -- I haven't had any problems since.  I was able to open Reason and use it fully with no drop-outs, latency, etc.  Granted, this is the first attempt at using the new cable, but I would definitely have experienced some hang ups if things were like before...

It just makes me wonder...  The original cable I bought (supposedly) went bad over a short period of time; then I switched to a cheaper cable (which was included w/ an external hard drive I had bought) and it worked for a short while too... then also went bad.  Am wondering if this one is also going to go bad in a short matter of time?? Could it be possible that my setup is turning the cables faulty???

Thanks again for your help!!