1 (edited by Mangy Mongrel 2012-01-30 10:56:17)

Topic: xlr breakout cable w/ AIO - driver settings

Hey all. 

I have a 9632 with the xlr breakout cable and the AIO expansion boards.  My monitors are connected to two of the AIO outs, with the xlr feeding a subwoofer (which isn't used very often).

My question is: Should I uncheck or check the "breakout xlr" option.  I realise that when checked, it will lower the level by 6db, however I'm unsure which option I should be choosing (just got new monitors and don't want anything untoward to happen).     

It's probably a silly question (if it matters at all, the sound seems the same, only louder when unchecked obviously), and I've searched and searched for a clear explanation but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

edit.. i meant the AO4S expansion board.

Re: xlr breakout cable w/ AIO - driver settings

The tickbox only affects and refers to the breakout cable, not the operation of the AO4S.
Just set it according to what you have connected.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Mangy Mongrel 2012-01-30 16:00:34)

hrmm.. well when unchecked, it raises the output of the AO4S.  When no audio is being put through, unchecking the "breakout Cable - xlr", (as at the moment of checking, unchecking the box) gives a definite click out of the monitors (which are connected to the AO4S).  Is this unexpected?

Are you 100% sure it only affects the breakout cable?  I can provide examples, with video if you wish. It undeniably increases the output level (on my system) of the monitors which aren't being fed by the breakout, but by the AO4S.

Thanks again

You misunderstood and Daniel has not been fully clear. Of course the AIO's output level changes. It is reduced by 6 dB so connecting balanced gear the output level is not much too high (+25 dBu) and does not overload the attached unit's input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ahh I see, thank you both.