Topic: HDSPe PCI card is not detected in Windows 7 64bit at all

I have had a Multiface with a PCI-card doing an excellent job with my Windows XP 32bit machine for years until now.
In order to get the Multiface running with my new machine with Windows 7 64bit , I had to use the new HDSPe PCI card.

Now, the big problem is that windows doesn't recognize the card at all.

I read similar postings here like http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13052 and also http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348
but I don't see any yellow exclamation marks at all.
So unfortunately my problem is not the same as in the other postings.

I ended up installing the driver manually which drove the machine into "blue screen of death".
I flashed BIOS with newest update and came up running again, but still with the same result.
I have tried all combinations including booting in safe mode and installing/removing, resetting BIOS and so on, with same result: NOTHING TO SEE in windows.

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance

MB: Pegatron (with HP/Compaq name: Cleveland-GL8) with chipset Intel H67
The macine is a HP Pavillion Elite HPE-552sc with Intel core i7 2600.

Re: HDSPe PCI card is not detected in Windows 7 64bit at all

HI,
The RME will be listed under unknown devices as a Multimedia device. It will not a name other that when it is a first time install.
If the card does not show up in device manager with this name then there is either something wrong with your PC's PCI slots of BIOs or with the card.
You should test the card in another system. If it is detected fine then it is most likely you new system.

There is only one way to install the driver. Doing a forced install in Windows 7 or XP for matter will not work corrclty even if the card is detected.
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7348
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Gentlemen, this is a new beginning! This is life on the other side.
Now it works... :-)

BUT the solution was not what I had ever expected.

The last thing I tried yesterday was updating the motherboard chipset drivers. At Intels website I could see that these drivers was intended to solve several problems including compatability issues with PCI-express cards. Do I need to say that I was glad to read that? I felt convinced that NOW would it finally work.
But no. Still nothing to see in bios or Windows.

Just before I was stuffing the shit in it's f..... box to send it back where it came from I was sitting with the card in my hands and started to wonder what the three jumpers was for. Never saw anything about it in the manual.
Then I started to look here for this strange new question.
And then, BINGO:

At this posting a user has had EXACTLY the same problem as mine:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11884

And again another user has EXACTLY the same problem here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9412

Another strange thing is that as far as I can conclude from the postings and from the pictures, BUT NOT FROM THE RME TEAM, my card has three jumpers and others may have only two.

Now, conclusion is in three parts:
1) Never give up until you have evidence for that what you are trying to do is impossible to accomplish.
2) RME manuals and documentation is NOT of the same standard as the hardware. (Another example: what is the AUX-out with its separate cable good for?)
3) The advices/answers from the RME staff to these postings are sometimes not correct. As you can all see, we were at least three users with identical problems (and I'm talking about serious shit here -I'm not talking about solutions to basic things). I'm pretty sure that the reason why it worked for the other guy (the second of the two above postings) who returned his card, is that the new one he got simply didn't have the wrong jumper setting as was the case for me and the guy from the first posting. AND WHY IS IT SECRET? WHY IS NOT NOT STATED CLEAR AND LOUD IN THE DOCS?

I'm so relieved and happy but also very angry.
I had spend so much time installing, removing crapware, making partitions loaded with my stuff and setting all up. Last thing was for the HDSPe to come. But I ended up reformatting HD and setting all back to factory install and mess around with blue screen, BIOS and chipset driver updates.
Thanks RME. DeadHorse

I am either overlooking something or you did not mention the exact solution to your case.
What did you change with regard to jumpers?

I don't necessarily see the second case as related - the affected card may simply have been defective for other reasons.

As for the first case, there is no issue of an "incorrect jumper setting". A jumper was accidentally left in a place where it simply does not belong after the card leaves the factory. This is regrettable, but it's an accident. Since the jumper has no use whatsoever to the end user, there is no point mentioning it in the manual, and hence there are no "secrets" here. As I'm sure you understand, this kind of thing is rather hard to detect. Often, unclear symptoms like these have very different reasons, sometimes also accidental or otherwise unforeseeable.

Please provide us with exact information concerning which jumper was affected, plus the card's serial number, so we may forward it to the factory to ensure this is given even greater attention in the future.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

OK, the solution to my problem was to remove the blue X100-jumper which is not supposed to be there at all.
This is what is described in posting http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11884 where there is also a picture of the jumper.

I don't agree that there is no point in mentioning it in the manual. Users apparently happen to have their cards delivered with the jumper mounted now and then, and therefore it should be mentioned. Especially because the user will experience a 100% show stopper and, as in my case, probably ends up spending an absurd amount of time with big struggles on something that should have been a minor thing.

About the other posting http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9412 you might be right that the card may have been defective for other reasons. But my opinion is that the most probable guess is that this user had same problem as me and the guy from first posting. The RME quality check makes it more unlikely with a defective card compared to the jumper-thing.

Why do I keep talking about this? -Because I think RME should have an open eye on this problem when you give advice on this forum AND because I think you should give a full description of all the jumpers in the manual.

What about the X201-jumper? Is it something with interrupt-address?
What about the X401-jumper (which was removed from factory)? The print says something about power and bus-aux.
What about the AUX-connector and the delivered cable? I would expect it to be something for the user, but no info....

Anyway, it would be natural to have the documentation the same standard as RME hardware in general.
And we all know what that means.. :-)

Regards

Please tell me the card's serial number... Further comments later or on Monday...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The serial number is 23287037.

There's one more important thing I forgot to mention about what solved my problem.
As I said before, removing the blue X100 jumper suddently made the card visible to my system.
So far so good.
But still there was no connection to the Multiface -nor it didn't light up during boot as it normally does.
I discussed it with a friend, and we decided to use the jumper we just removed, and put it in the X401 jumper [Power BUS-AUX] in the position which is marked at the print as 'BUS'. It might have a meaning of "power at the bus" and it was worth the try.
And that was what finally made it work.

Regards
Thomas