Topic: Fireface UFX and Live Recording

Hello all,

I have had so much trouble lately with live recordings that I want your opinion on the USB recording capability of the UFX before I jump into it.
I have used Mackie Recorders in the past but they have a glitch and are getting old.

I have tested the JoeCo Blackbox recorder, which is a nice unit, and lost an entire project. My MacBook Pro and Protools 9 with Mackie Preamps is also not failsafe since Protools quits recording on occasions. Go figure why.

So, stability comes first and redundancy. I know that RME sounds good. smile

I would possibily use the Mackie Pre's via ADAT and the 4 Mic Pre's build in. Most projects can be handled with 20 channels (I've done 72 channel recordings in the past but that was nerve wrecking as well.)

How is the USB port recording option?

What happens when the power goes out. (Yes I know... a UPS is mandatory, but....)

Thanks for your insight.

Georges

Re: Fireface UFX and Live Recording

USB recording works great.  Any external USB hard drive will handle 20 channels easily.  Others have reported that if the power is cut, the audio files up until that point are still good.

Hi,
You can record all 30 inputs and all 30 outputs at once if you want on most any USB hard drive. Any drive that is 5400 or 7200 rpm is more than fast enough for this.
If you are plugging in external digital devices then I would uf possible run the RME as the master clock via WC or ADAT.
If at all possible definitely use a UPS but just make sure the UPS is rated correctly to handle the Mackies, UFX and the computer.
I would not use less than a 1500VA 900 watt UPS for this.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

The unit writes interleaved multi-channel WAV files. After 2GB a new file is created (FAT32 limit). All previous files will be fine, the worst case is that the last file is corrupted when power cuts out.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks a lot.

Georges