Topic: Babyface: BSOD on Cubase 5 startup (portcls.sys error)

Hi! Everytime I start Cubase 5 with the Babyface connected to my PC I get a blue screen/BSOD. It hangs when Cubase is "Initializing: MIDI", then I get the blue screen.

The blue screen error refers to the file portcls.sys. I have taken a picture of the error and here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53135841/bsod.jpg

The thing is, I don't get BSOD if I disconnect babyface from my PC before I start Cubase, then everything is perfectly fine (no BSOD). So then I can reconnect the babyface and things works great. I never get the blue screen while working inside a Cubase project either, only at the startup. Really weird.

So I think it's something related with the babyface or it's drivers, but I have got the newest RME drivers from this website. I recently had a different Audio Interface before (Focusrite 6) on the same computer (two weeks ago) and I never had problem with that device. My system is just the same now as then, haven't made any changes to my system.

I've read dozens of forum threads and tried a lot of suggested solutions but none of them works. I still get the BSOD, and I can't figure out why.

I have a laptop PC: Acer Aspire 5738ZG with Windows XP Service Pack 3 installed.

I would really like to fix this problem as I'm worried that maybe some files on my disk will get lost/corrupted during this error. Does anyone know what to do?

Ole

Re: Babyface: BSOD on Cubase 5 startup (portcls.sys error)

bump, I still need to figure this out.

Hi,
Are you sure the Focusrtie drivers are totally uninstalled?

Have you tried moving the ASIO folder out of the "C:\Programs Files\Steinberg\" directory?

Have you uninstalled and disabled your on board audio?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thank you for your reply. Good suggestions, I'm gonna try them out. It's most probably an ASIO og driver issue as you're saying.

Ole

I still get these BSODs unfortunately hmm... anyone also have som suggestions?

I had the same problem with Nuendo 4, fortunately I came up with a solution.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12003

SKULL wrote:

Success at last!!!

I got the sp1 version of the "portcls.sys" file (it is in the sp1 update, you can download it from the Windows Update).
Rebooted in safe mode and replaced the file which lies in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers . If you do not go into safe mode, the file will be automaticaly replaced with the sp3 version by Windows.

Rebooted and everything works ok! No more blue screens! At last I can return to my work!

Hope it helps!

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information!

Kind regards,

George