Topic: Babyface Line Level Input

I am having a tough time getting a +4dbu signal into the Babyface without it clipping. I have the inputs set to 0 so it acts as line level.
I output my 6176 preamp hitting 0 on its VU meters (+4), but it register 0dBFS on the babyface and in pro tools.

The level input should be hitting at about -18dBFS. For some reason my Babyface is not giving a low enough level line input, it is way too sensitive.

Has anyone else had this? Am I doing something badly wrong? Any advice is most welcome.

Re: Babyface Line Level Input

Check the tech specs section of the manual.

With the  gain at minimum (0dB) the maximum input level is +12dBu for 0dBfs, and so a +4dBu tone will give you -8dBfs.  It is not a true studio 'line' input (but it will accept -10dBV consumer 'line' output).

If you want +4dBu to give you -18dBfs, you will need to put at least a 10dB pad between preamp out and BabyFace input.  There will be no significant influence on noise, but make sure phantom power is turned off.

Or you could just run the preamp so that it peaks to around -6VU.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Thankyou. Have not run a pure test tone through it, but generally my +4 is giving near to 0dBFS. The reason I wanted to try stick to +4 is that is where the outboard is normally best sounding - the sweet spot for pro gear. Pity the total mix does not have some kinda pad switch.

I guess the work around, as you say, is to run the preamp lower in volume.

Just be guided by the meters in TotalMix (or DigiCheck, for that matter - set Input Select to Inputs Analog 1 and 2).  Backing off 6dB on that preamp output will not overly change the 'character' of the sound.

Yeah, I hear ya. What is digicheck?

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … _digicheck

Download free from the downloads section of the RME website - one of the RME masterpieces.

nice utility, thank you. Done some more precise tests....

With 6176 preamp set to 0 on the output VU meter I get -1.5 peak and -5.5 RMS dBFS into DIGICHECK.

That sounds about right.

To get better controlled level matching with pro gear having calibrated/balanced outputs of the +4/+24 variety, I would actually recommend a simple external passive box like the NanoPatch.  The gain of the BabyFace input can be set to something more convenient like 9 or 15dB, and level can be matched precisely with the NanoPatch control.

Because the BabyFace can only adjust gain in 3dB steps, the NanoPatch will allow you to more precisely set your line-up level (0VU) to -18dBfs.  It is purely passive and will add or subtract nothing (except level) from your signal.  Don't forget to make sure that the BabyFace inputs have the +48V phantom power turned off.

Great idea. I like the look of these boxes - you used em before? Any good?

And thanks for all the help!

I have two (one I modified to have XLR out instead of TRS).  While I use them mainly as monitor controllers, I also use them on the input side, for instance between my BG1 preamp and the line input of my Nagra V, which is a bit too sensitive to allow a proper gain setting on the BG1.  No impact on quality, and much easier to balance mains against spotters, for example.  (But not your issue here.)

If you look instead, it is just a quad pot (wired as two balanced sections).  A button, knob, connectors and the case - a neat little package.  And far cheaper (in time and money) than I could make it myself.

In my view, a great problem solver to keep in the toolkit.

Will deffo look into it. Pure and simple is often a good thing - less to go wrong and cheaper for us to buy!