1 (edited by hollsa 2012-02-09 05:39:19)

Topic: UFX/TotalMix question about Phones setting

hello, long time no see!

i've just upgraded from a FF800 to a UFX and i'm loving the look of the new TotalMix!  can someone please tell me how to use Phones 1 without having to physically turn down the Mains?  or is Mute the way to go?

i really should have looked at my previous TotalMix settings and jotted them down before updating.   <head hung low> 

hmmmmm, actually, correction --- i used a separate monitor/phones controller with the FF800 and never had to think about it in TotalMix.  in addition to the phones knob on the FFi i had 2 phones on the controller.  plush!

(technically, i haven't upgraded yet.  i've been given the choice of a new UCX or a slightly used UFX, and i'm trying to figure out which one will fit the bill better!)  :-)

thanks so much,
chus!

holly

Re: UFX/TotalMix question about Phones setting

can someone please tell me how to use Phones 1 without having to physically turn down the Mains?  or is Mute the way to go? i used a separate monitor/phones controller with the FF800 and never had to think about it in TotalMix.  in addition to the phones knob on the FFi i had 2 phones on the controller.

I'am not sure what you want to do. The UFX includes a monitoring controller. If you want to use your old one, just connect and route it like with the Fireface 800.

TotalMix tutorials: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039

best regards
Knut

thank you, Knut.  :-)  i'd seen the old tutorial but not the new one.  great resource!

i'm selling my dangerous d-box and plan to use the UFX sans external controller, to clarify.  :-)  looks like i'll just need to mute the main outs when using the phones.  it appears that muting in TotalMix is the only way to this, because when using the knob on the UFX, both the phones and mains are on simultaneously.

:-) h

hollsa wrote:

it appears that muting in TotalMix is the only way to this, because when using the knob on the UFX, both the phones and mains are on simultaneously.

I am not sure exactly what you are getting at, but I think you are confused about this.  You can control the level of the mains and each of the phones independently using either Total Mix or the larger controller knob on the UFX.  There is no need to mute anything, just use either your mouse or the controller knob to pull down the fader of whatever output you don't wnat to hear.

Hi, I'm researching buying a UCX and also wanted clarity about quickly and separately controlling the headphone volume in a live performance situation from the front panel without changing the main output volume and without using the remote or the mixer software.

Also, how many steps would it be to switch between controlling the main volume and contolling the headphone volume?

Thanks - I'm coming from an interface with dedicated mains and headphone volume knobs and am a bit wary of losing focus during my performances just to adjust these common levels.

6 (edited by hollsa 2012-02-09 19:35:31)

@ neirbod:  thanks!  i was a dope and didn't realize it's necessary to 1st turn down the mains before moving into the phones area.  doh!  it's all good now, very happy camper.

Scott M2 wrote:

Hi, I'm researching buying a UCX and also wanted clarity about quickly and separately controlling the headphone volume in a live performance situation from the front panel without changing the main output volume and without using the remote or the mixer software.

Also, how many steps would it be to switch between controlling the main volume and contolling the headphone volume?

Thanks - I'm coming from an interface with dedicated mains and headphone volume knobs and am a bit wary of losing focus during my performances just to adjust these common levels.

hi scott,

sorry, just deleted my reply as i thought you were asking about the UFX.  i ended up choosing the UFX and didn't try the UCX.   :)

I'm researching buying a UCX and also wanted clarity about quickly and separately controlling the headphone volume in a live performance situation from the front panel without changing the main output volume

Same as on the Fireface UC/400. Select the headphones out (or any other out) by pressing the button and than control the volume.

best regards
Knut