Topic: UCX or Multiface II

Hi,

Just building my home recording studio and I want to buy the interface. I was thinking of Multiface II,  but now I think I would go for UCX.

This is my dilemma :

I don't really need RME preamps because I have Universal Audio 710 and Universal Audio 6176, but it's good to have that option too, in case I want to record more than two tracks at the same time. But, most of the time, I'll use RME just as bridge between my computer and my UA preamps.

Is there any reason why I should go for Multiface II, rather than UCX? Latency wise, would RME Multiface II + RME PCIe work faster (or better in any way with my UA preamps) than UCX (USB or fw)?

Thank you very much.

Re: UCX or Multiface II

Hi,
The UCX would seem to me to make the most sense. It has the same number of I/O as the Multiface but has upgraded AD/DA and all the Total Mix FX features like the UFX.
Our USB/Firewire driver design gives performance on par with PCI/PCI-e devices.
The Mic Pres on the UCX and UFX are quite good but of a totally different type than the UAD.
You can easily just plug the UAD into any of the Line inputs and never use the built in Mic Pres. I think you will find the transparent, low noise and neutral character in the design of the Mic Pres  on the UCX or UFX quite useful for acoustic instruments, overheads, etc.
Most people seem to be using the USB connection for either the UCX or UFX on either PC or MAC. It is required for doing firmware updates. On the Mac side people like the USB since it keeps their firewire port free for hard drives and such.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Re: UCX or Multiface II

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Our USB/Firewire driver design gives performance on par with PCI/PCI-e devices.

Hi

Thank you for this information. So, just to make sure, Multiface II should not perform better in any way (for what I need)?

OK, I'm buying UCX!

Thank you!