Topic: SPDIF on Babyface

Hi there,

I am using an RME Babyface, with Reaper, on Windows 7.

I am just confirming if I will be able to gain an additional two channels - by connecting the SPDIF Digital Output of a Joe Meek TwinQ to the Digital input of the Babyface.

Would there be anything preventing me from doing this - or anything I need to be aware of?

Many Thanks,
Julian

Re: SPDIF on Babyface

Yes, it will work (if there's an optical out) and no, nothing preventing it...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am just confirming if I will be able to gain an additional two channels - by connecting the SPDIF Digital Output of a Joe Meek TwinQ to the Digital input of the Babyface.

This should work without problems.

I think the TwinQ has only an optical SPDIF output. So you has to set the Babyface as clock slave in the setup dialog (Clock Source: Optical In) when you use it together.

best regards
Knut

Thanks Daniel.

And if the SDIF output is Coaxial - do I need to get some type of adapter?

Thanks Daniel,

Is there anything inherently wrong in setting the babyface clock from internal to slave?

Essentially I am looking for my best option to expand my number of tracks to four. By the sounds of it - I should choose an external device that has an equally stable clock to the RME - otherwise I will be compromising my setup?

Are you in a position to recommend a good 2-channel mic pre with digital out - that is complimentary - or works well with my babyface?

Many thanks.
Julian

You will need a coax-optical adapter. Nothing wrong with clocking the BF to external SPDIF...
I'm afraid I don't really have a specific recommendation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

And if the SDIF output is Coaxial - do I need to get some type of adapter?

Yes. But it has also an optical output, so you can connect it directly with an optical TOSLINK cable.

I should choose an external device that has an equally stable clock to the RME - otherwise I will be compromising my setup?

This is no problem. The Babyface provides SteadyClock which takes care of a good clock quality for the internal converters, when it's clocked externally.

Are you in a position to recommend a good 2-channel mic pre with digital out - that is complimentary - or works well with my babyface?

Any preamp with a digital output will work. Your choice seems to be a good one.

best regards
Knut