Topic: ADAT Sync Errors - Pops and Clicks in Audio!

On two separate session I have experienced intermittent sync issues when connecting external mic pres to the ADAT inputs of the RME UFX. The sync light will flash intermittently occasionally resulting in pops and clicks printed in the audio from the ADAT channels.

In an attempt to trouble shoot i have tried the following things:

- Swapping several ADAT cables
- Swapping external ADAT pres (mackie 800r and rme Octamic)
- Various sample rates (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96)
- Clocking with the external pre as master
- Clocking with the external pre as slave and UFX as master
- Clocking using word clock over BNC
- using firewire instead of usb.

so far all of these trials result in the same intermittent sync problem. Is it possible that i have a defective UFX unit? I have noticed a few other people posting similar problems with intermittent sync on the forum. Is this a known issue? Any help would be much appreciated. Aside from this problem i have been extremely happy with my UFX, hopefully this can be resolved soon!

MBP | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.7.3 | Pro Tools 10.0.1
FF UFX | Driver 1.65 | Total Mix FX 0.963

Re: ADAT Sync Errors - Pops and Clicks in Audio!

There is a new firmware for the UFX with an improved ADAT receiver. Please try that one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks Matthias, sync over ADAT seems to be more solid now. I will continue to do more tests in the next few days. One more question, when using the Octamic with the UFX is it better to have the RME as the clock master or slave in terms of overall system stability?

thanks again for your quick response.

MBP | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.7.3 | Pro Tools 10.0.1
FF UFX | Driver 1.65 | Total Mix FX 0.963

Doesn't matter much. I would prefer the UFX as master, because you can then change the sample rate on the fly from the computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I am sorry I am replaying to an older post but I have issues with adat still, I am using the UFX with Allen&Heath R16 mixer. I have 4 optical cables between the units and UFX as a master. The click and pops I get are pretty bad, the light blinks constantly. I don't know if the latest update to the UFX has anything to do with it as it seemed only here and there the adat2 would blink, click and pop occasionally.

Is there a general rule as what needs to be turned on first, I would assume ufx then adat device, Any tips I could get on this?

I am using optical cables provided by RME, I've also tried consumer premium optical and the results were the same.

If LEDs are flashing, you have clocking configured incorrectly between the 2 devices.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I am sorry I did not explain it right, they are not flashing non stop but intermittently. I think I have it configured right, R16 is set up to clock to UFX via it's own app (internal or adat as options), there is also a switch on the board that is set to adat. The lights might be solid for a few seconds then they will start going on and off (not at the same time). Currently I am connected to spanking new mac via usb. I know there was some discussion wether usb or fw was better.

I had an issue with a FF800 before but a bad cable was to blame, since then I've stocked up on good toslink cables, and that was the first thing I checked. It's impossible to use the pre's on the r16. Am I missing something?

What if you sawp and make the R16 the master and have the UFX slave to ADAT?

Does the R16 have BNC Wordclock?  Have you tried syncing over BNC instead?

Lastly - can you confirm the UFX's ADAT I/O is "good" by making a physical loopback ADAT Patch from UFX ADAT Out to UFX ADAT In and see if you STILL get sync errors?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

no r16 does not have bnc wordclock unfortunately. Did not try to make sure the ufx adat's are good, thanks for the tip. I'll try that tonight and get back with results.

I had a travel session and did not get a chance to try it yet, I will as soon as I am home.

I'm having the same problems right now. If you could let me know if you were able to resolve these problems I would greatly appreciate knowing what you did. I'm using a UFX and Octamic II as slave with BNC, but syncing through adat hasn't helped. thanks

Same problem here!!!

No unfortunately I never was able to correct/fix the issue/problem. I really don't know how to address the issue anymore.

The LED blink while the settings windows show adat's going along from sync-lock as the lights blink. So no....Kinda bummed because the inputs/outputs on the UFX with out the adat are not enough for me and I really don't know what else to do.

To adress the issue send in the unit for a check. Maybe the optical TOSLINK receivers are out of spec.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I will probobly have to do that. How long does that take and what is the cost associated, I am not sure if I am under warranty, but I think I talked about this issue with in the few weeks of me buying the unit

I checked, if the warranty is 2 years I should be good till end of november. I am in deep in three projects and I will have to wait a month or two to send it.

Hi guys, just to help - I found that my pops and clicks disappeared if I turn on the preamp before the UFX.

I have Mackie 800r, so I turn off the UFX and the Mackie. Restart Logic , power up the Mackie, then the UFX. Now everything works smile

Maybe the helps!

Thomas