Topic: New Notebook - Old Multiface ! HDSPe Compatible 2012 ?

Any suggestions for a i7 with 8-16 GB Ram
that works with an Multiface II ?

Is there a relieable USB 3.0-Connector for the HDSPe ?

Thank You!

Re: New Notebook - Old Multiface ! HDSPe Compatible 2012 ?

Hi Byron,
The express card requires an express slot. There are no USB 2 or 3 to express card adapters.
HP and Toshiba both have current models with an express slot bit I have no idea if they work well for audio.
There have been some recent posts about these models so just do a search.
Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thank you for the quick reply!
At the specs and pictures of ADK and Sonica
i couldnt find expresscard-slots. :-O

So the only way for 64bit i7 16GB is a new Audio Interface ... but  i love my multiface II...
I try to contact one of the custum builders for that feature.

HI Byron,

The Fireface UC or Fireface UCX will be perfect replacements if you end up having to replace the Multiface.
I don't believe any of the current DAW builders offer a model with an express slot.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks - I got the same answer from Digital Audionetworks -
Not now and they wont`t build it in future DAW's
- so the Expresscard is a dead DeadHorse

So find the sarcasm and keep the bad grammar :-)

So - its not easy nowadays - there is a dell with 8 GB Ram and Expresscard ---> Dell Vostro 3450 V345003
but for what do i need 64 bit if my DAW is running ableton live (maybe 9 will be 64 bit) who knows ??

I could switch from Laptop to PC -- then i need a PCIe RME -- again 500 $ :-(

the only thing i want to achive is running trilian and omnisphere at the same time - switch to cubase ?
damn dilemma you see ...

I think i wait until Ableton goes 64 bit - then i wait 6 month more until it it is stable - then i buy a new PC with USB 5.0 - i will be a very old man until then and maybe the last guy on earth using a Multiface II.

MAybe the multiface II with its 250 mb one way even is to slow for the spectrasonics vst build in 2015 -
then i will have a real reason for UCX7-USB 5.0 - until then i think to goback to midisynced hardware without total integration - hardware synths are a good investment for the global crisis - they nearly dont loose in any currency - just look at the tb 303 :-)

Have a nice day!

And still: I like the multiface2much

Hi Byron,

Are you performing live with this or just writing at home/studio?
If you have no need to be mobile then a PC desktop will be the most cost effective way to go in the long term.
A desktop PC  in the $800 to $1500 will be faster and have more expansion and upgrade options than any laptop available.

Windows 64 bit is the only and best way to go. All 32 bit audio applications work on it and will benefit from the memory available.
Each 32 bit application has it's own memory space which can be up to 4 gigs as long as you have the ram available.
Under a 32 bit OS which is limited to 4 gigs of physical ram you applications are limited to 2 gigs or under.

On a current machine be it laptop or desktop if you are working with Virtual instruments then I would recommend at least 8 gigs of ram. Anything beyond that will depend on the type of music production you are doing. Large Orchestrations work is the only thing right now that would every need more than 8 gigs.

Ableton Live 7 and higher work great as a 32 bit app in Win 7 64 bit. Your Spectrasonics stuff will need to remain as 32 bit plugins for now but you have nearly twice the usable ram available in Ableton than you did in the 32 bit OS.

If you want to get around the current 32 bit limit of Ableton then I would recommend you check out Vienna Ensemble Pro.
You would use this in conjunction with Ableton as a 64 bit plug in host.

If you are in the US and you decide to go the desktop route then I would contact your dealer about B-Stock HDSPe PCI-e cards.
This can save you a bunch of money. All of our major US dealers have a list of what we have as B-Stock so they should be able to set you up with good pricing.
http://www.synthax.com/~synthax/index.php/dealers.html

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
Twitter @RMEAmericas

8 (edited by timbarker 2012-03-10 04:02:03)

My question/problem is similar to Byron's.  I often do live recordings and have been using a Multiface PCMCIA card (not the M/FII, the original) with a standard Mackie 1604 mixer.  I have been using a Lenovo Thinkpad which is excellent for what I want but I would like to upgrade this and go 64-bit at the same time whilst retaining the lightness and portability of the ThinkPad (ie 1.3kg max).  Part of the reason is that the thinkpad isn't up to running live and mixing at the same time as recording, at least I'm not game to try it with Cubase.  It also isn't up my other software that I wish to use (mostly things like Photoshop CS5 etc which are resource hogs) when travelling.  Unfortunately as Byron has found out nobody produces portables with PCMCIA slots anymore and there are few with Expresscard slots.  I also use a Focusrite i/f which I attach to the M/face using ADAT (it doesn't have the digital i-face) and indeed I bought it because I didn't 'need' the interface for the computer as I was happy to use the M/face (how wrong I was).  Does RME have an Expresscard solution or would a standard cardbus to expresscard adapter work with the RME drivers?

What are the alternatives for users that want to move to the newer i5 & i7 range of portables but are still happy to use the older interfaces?  Is there a smaller (say 2 channel) i/face that has ADAT input that would be up to the task.  For example I would like to do live mixing of up to 12 channels input to 4 channel output (discrete FoH & Foldback channels) using my current set-up (includes Cubase 6).  Would it be possible to find a solution that would work with the newer Ultrabooks which appear to have the grunt required but lack the obvious suitable interfaces?  Is there anybody out there with a similar problem or a solution?

Given the number of similar posts in this section this problem is not unusual and is something that RME perhaps should find a solution to (if only to keep satisfied customers).

I'm sure you've seen this card: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds … sscard.php cool

The Multiface etc. simply need one of the interface cards, there is no way to connect them to a laptop without either interface (except Thunderbolt equipped MBP, with an external adapter).
I would not refer to this as a "problem", it is a simple technical fact. As an alternative, we have a number of USB devices out there now. The old setup could then either stay connected to a secondary or backup system (might save you a session one day) or be sold together...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes, part of the 'problem' is that the ExpressCard seems to be a dying i/face so may only be a short term solution.  I do understand the need for the interface but now that USB-2 and USB-3 are around then perhaps I should be looking at a complete change, then it comes down to $'s all up in one go or are there ways of upgrading piece meal that are more likely to fit the budget.  As you can see it is some time since I bought the original Multiface but it still works fine and at 24bit and 96kHz is still more than enough for what I need.  You mention Thunderbolt equipped MBP, true Thunderbolt or 1394? and the external adapter is what?

As always there is no 'perfect' solution in either notebook, tablet or ultrabook, what I would 'like' would be a matte IPS display on an ultrabook with an expresscard slot, an i7 low voltage and SSD, wireless and physical LAN, tablet or pen interface would be even better but don't want to move to the Global monopoly of Apple (there are parts of the business model that I just don't agree with).  I must admit the Lenovo tablet (X61 Centrino) I'm using at the moment is good and the pen i/face easy to use in a live situation, but just not fast enough for what I now need.  Looking around at the moment (and I'm sure this will change today, or next week, or next month, given the speed of technology) the Fujitsu SH771 seems to be the closest to the ideal solution (excl IPS screen).

By the way does anybody know whether the Mutiface PCMCIA card works in/through an Expresscard adapter?  What would be the 'recommended solution' for an 8 channel line level interface to USB 2 or USB 3 connection (which is essentially the Multiface into the PCI card), ADAT in/out would be needed to allow the 8-channel Focusrite to connect.

11 (edited by Bongobill03 2015-01-26 19:09:17)

It is a "problem". The Multiface I have cost a lot. Something broke in it once and I sent it in and paid some more hundred dollars. I haven't used it that much and am slowly learning about using as I go. I use it in a pc through a pcmcia to express card adaptor. Now express cards are not available in new laptops. Spending a lot more money is actually for me  quite a "problem". Surely there would be a way to make an affordable adapter to usb3 for these units.

RME Support wrote:

I'm sure you've seen this card: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hds … sscard.php cool

The Multiface etc. simply need one of the interface cards, there is no way to connect them to a laptop without either interface (except Thunderbolt equipped MBP, with an external adapter).
I would not refer to this as a "problem", it is a simple technical fact. As an alternative, we have a number of USB devices out there now. The old setup could then either stay connected to a secondary or backup system (might save you a session one day) or be sold together...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Bongobill03 wrote:

Surely there would be a way to make an affordable adapter to usb3 for these units.

Sorry, no, that is not possible...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Is there any way this could allow me to connect my Multiface?
http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-aud … reamer-box
USBStreamer module in an aluminum enclosure. Operates as USB to Toslink (Stereo up to 192k) or USB to ADAT(up to 8channels at 48/44.1kHz)

I just ordered a new laptop Windows 8.1 laptop.
ASUS ROG GL551JM-EH74
It took all my $ and but I was still looking for an inexpensive audio interface that would allow at least 4-6 analog inputs (without much luck). I came across a forum talking about this USBStreamer. Originally I connected the multiface to my pcmcia slot,then the next laptop only had express card so I used an express card converter. Now the next laptop has neither. Could this thing work?