Topic: No DURec on UCX?

As a field recordist, I was excited to see the DURec feature on the UFX, but sorry to see it was powered by AC. I was hoping this feature would  added to some more portable DC-powered unit in the future.

The new UCX is powered by DC (even though it comes with an AC adapter, it can be powered by a DC field recording battery belt). However, the DURec feature had not been included with the UCX.

Seeing as the compatibility with iPads makes this so portable, is it possible to include DURec in an update?

Matthew

Re: No DURec on UCX?

Sorry, no. As you can see, there is simply no USB output on the device, and no space for either the port or a display like on the UFX.

But when used with an iPad, the iPad itself will do the recording...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thank you, Daniel.

I'm wondering, what was RME thinking/planning with respect to DURec? It really is an ultimate potential solution for field recording. An iPad is not, when considering the elements, and other limitations/impracticalities with dragging it deep into the nature.

I deeply hope/wish RME would consider creating a field recording solution based on something like the UCX with DURec for direct-to-disc recording, and DC power.

Matthew

And one more thought on DURec on the UCX...

The lack of USB ports on the UCX should not prohibit the addition of DURec, if it was adjusted to support Firewire drives.

Mmmmmm? :-)

I don't think it would make a great lot of sense to drag a UCX around for actual field recordings. All-in-one recorders with built-in microphones are much better suited to this kind of application. The UCX is essentially a studio device.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Or stage device for small bands (like the 400 and UC). wink

Hi Daniel,

I often do surround or other remote recording requiring 6 to 8 channels. It's true there are purpose-built recorders out there, but when you eliminate the brands that don't meet the professional criteria (Alesis, Tascam, Fostex), you're left with little choice (1 choice, actually, if you want at least 6 mic pres in the unit), and personally, I find RME's pres and converters to sound much better than the other option.

Even though it's not built for it, I would gladly take the UCX!

Matthew