Topic: Fireface UCX - USB Recording while using Firewire to Mac

Hello Forum, 

Before I buy, I would like to know if the UCX can use the USB port to record output from a iPad into a DAW via a Firewire connection.   In other words, I would like to play a iPad synth and record it using a DAW on my Mac.  So, I am hoping if I connect the UCX to a Mac using a firewire connection, the USB connection can be used as a audio input.  I suppose it would be considered a Digital audio input

Probably just hoping/dreaming here, but thought I would ask. 

Thanks,
Tim

Re: Fireface UCX - USB Recording while using Firewire to Mac

(Nonsense deleted - misinterpreted the question)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Great news!  I'm much closer to purchase.  I'm surprised you say "Of course".  Reading different info on your site, especially the technical doc, I would need to switch the UCX into Class Compliant mode.  Class Compliant mode seems to reduce the capabilities of the UCX, possibly shutting off the Firewire interface I hope to connect to my MacBook.

Again, I'm very glad to hear this!  Very close to adding to cart, right now.

I'm not sure Daniel understood the question, as I certainly don't understand his reply. fryingpan

The UCX, same as any other sound card, can only be used with one host at a time, either iPad or Mac.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Oh, I'm sorry... My mistake. I thought you meant the UFX....
No, CC and Firewire won't work together....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Jeff wrote:

I'm not sure Daniel understood the question, as I certainly don't understand his reply. fryingpan

Ouch. Guess I deserve it. I saw "USB recording" and thought the UFX was being referred to...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

What, you can dish out the frying pans... wink

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

OK, sell me.  Can the UFX do what I described?  I'm looking for new high-end audio interface/DAC,  I have clients with recordings on iPad .. what can RME do for me?  I don't see this need of interfacing with iPad going away, in fact will probably become more common. 

So, I can see using the UCX connected to the iPad and use the audio outs connected to ins of another audio interface, but if the UFX will make this easier, please do explain.

Thanks!

This is not possible. As soon as you activate (the not yet existing) CC mode both USB and FW ports are no longer available for computer communication. USB is CC and FW is dead.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME