Topic: Request that would be awesome. :D Plugins in total mix (vst au etc)

Is there any plans for something like that in Totalmix?
An option to use plugins that you got like VST or AU and so on.
It would be good to have that in a live situation and so forth.

Re: Request that would be awesome. :D Plugins in total mix (vst au etc)

latency...

Hi,
Yes latency. You can already do this with a host app like Cubase, reaper, etc in a live setting as long as your system is fast enough.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi,
Yes latency. You can already do this with a host app like Cubase, reaper, etc in a live setting as long as your system is fast enough.

Thanks Chris

Oh i know. But i meant you would be skipping the hassle with a host.
So you would out them stright on the totalmix channels. big_smile
Just a thought...

Totalmix would then need to run these VST's on its FPGA, and while they are getting more powerful, I doubt it could run a few x86 VST's in any type of emulation mode and have any power leftover for anything else.  Or, you would still need a native "host" x86 compliment to Totalmix's internal processing, and you are back to using ASIO to get to/from the Kernel to Totalmix (and the physical I/O)...

I'd have to assume the new TM-FX DSP is succinctly coded "natively" to run on the FPGA (not ported from x86 code or running in emulation) - and were likely designed from day one to be as efficient as possible.  VST/RTAS on the other hand, has access to an i7's worth of DSP (that is a LOT of power!), so the coding is generally more sloppy and less optimized/tight...

Use a fast PC, use low-latency plug-ins in a descent host, and run your ASIO driver as low as possible.  You will have all of this and more.  That is my M.O. 24/7/365 (or 24/7/366 for our Leap Day coming up tomorrow!!! wink )

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

6 (edited by Xill 2012-03-01 09:07:03)

A DAW by RME would also be awesome beyond imagination. I can almost see the face the Apple and Steinberg engineer scratching their head trying to understand... This simple graph explains pretty much what would happen to the competition:
DeadHorse

Gosh, listen to me, I just had a Babyface for a few months and I'm already an RME maniac. Never seen such good drivers!

I don't thihk RME wants to open that can-o-worms!  Writing a DAW from the ground up is worlds different from writing solid drivers and little applets - they'd likely need to triple their software staff (or more) and then deal with all kinds of BS they currently avoid...

I wouldn't be holding my breath for an RME DAW.  RME & Steinberg seem to be pretty solid over here (no major complaints on usability or stability)...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Alright.. big_smile Just had to ask. big_smile
Im no techguy so.
Thanks for answering. Got the babyface and the ff800. Love RME stuff, solid as a rock!! Couldnt be happier..

Cheers Greger