Topic: routing through SPDIF input external A/DC

a quick question. i have an external A/D converter (benchmark). what is the procedure for routing the signal into the FF400 through the SPDIF input? i cannot seem to get any signal in totalmix.

Re: routing through SPDIF input external A/DC

Is this coaxial or optical SPDIF?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

coaxial. i am going from the benchmark BNC out. this output is un-balanced, AES/EBU professional format, 24-bits and compatible with  most SPDIF inputs according to benchmark. i am using a RCA to RCA cable (very short) with a BNC/RCA adapter at the benchmark. i am going into the FF400 on the SPDIF input. i am also using the SPDIF output on the FF400 to an external DAC.

Make sure SPDIF In is set to coaxial in Fireface Settings. You'll need to have a valid clocking scheme, means one device is master (internal) and the other 2 devices get clock from the master. The SPDIF input will show up on In 9/10 in TotalMix.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

tried all that. using the benchmark as master clock, the FF400 synchs with it. in settings box, set to coaxial. "limit bandwidth" set to analogue and SPDIF. i'll spend some more time in the routing matrix...

and, thank you for the prompt reply! forgetting my manners with the frustration!

It has nothing to do with the matrix or TotalMix. Do you see any signal on In 9/10 in the top row of the mixer while the AD is in use? Does the FF settings show Sync for SPDIF in?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

no. i see no signal in 9/10, hence the question. the FF is synching as the sample rate changes as i change the rate on the external ADC.

Please be more specific than "no signal". Does it show -? or some numbers like -100 or whatever?
Which Benchmark converter is this exactly? Have you tried optical SPDIF for a test?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

10 (edited by tallpaul 2012-02-27 22:38:52)

Hi Daniel. i have a Benchmark ADC-1 http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul06/a … chmark.htm
it is the model that predates the latest USB version. i have not tried an optical cable. i'll need to buy one. with an external DAC, i have had absolutely no problems with the FF400. i think that that the FF400 is an excellent piece of equipment. this is my first issue in five years of continuous use. i'll do some more experimenting tomorrow. will screen shots help with diagnosis?

Sure, screen shots will help. If you have the package of the FF400 lying around, you'll find an optical cable inside...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

you're a star, Daniel. yes, i had the packaging and found the optical cable. plugged it in and now have a signal! THANK YOU very much for your prompt suggestions. now i can get back to recording music and stop worrying about cabling...

further endorsement of the excellent products and services that RME provide.

Good to hear that... To be honest, I was only suggesting this for a test because some folks may have (unfounded) preconceptions about optical digital transfer... But I see you don't. You can examine the connection problem with the coax cable later, when time permits.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME