1 (edited by belf 2012-03-04 11:03:35)

Topic: Fireface UC with Dell Latitude e6520 (signal overdrive)

The fireface uc works fine with my home system......but there's a very weird problem going on when used with my Dell e6520, running win 7 x64 ultimate.

http://s15.postimage.org/59vtnrxnb/Capture.jpg

No matter whether I'm using WDM or ASIO, the software playback is always clipping. The signal is so hot that the sound is totally distorted. I've tried changing the sample rate and buffer size but it makes no difference. On this screenshot I was listening to an mp3 file with Media Monkey. When I'm on YouTube, Cubase, etc. the same thing happens. I've tried disabling most system devices first on Windows later on the Bios but I could see no difference. Any ideas ?

Cheers

Re: Fireface UC with Dell Latitude e6520 (signal overdrive)

Hello,
I've the same problem with Fireface UC and my custom build workstation:
Windows 7 x64
Intel core i7 980
after a while that I installed driver 1.020.
A complete reinstallation of the driver solved the issue and until now I cannot reproduce it anymore, but I'm not sure why happened.
Cheers,
stefano

Yeah I've already tried that but no change.

What kind of music material are you playing back? What happens when you reduce volume inside the application (e.g. ASIO DAW mixer)?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

A normal mp3 file......reducing volume doesn't affect the distortion, volume in the applications is almost 0 and yet software playback always overdrives. The problem happens with any kind of material, mp3, any video on youtube, system sounds, cubase playback etc etc. What I did then was to install 0.938 from rme's website and now it works fine. I've tried many times re-installing 1.020 but I could never get rid of the problem................

I have the same problem also.
I got rid of it by unstalling the driver and installing 1.019.
That helped me to manage the recording session yesterday just fine,
but today the problem reappeared.

Any sound through the Software Playback is totally distorted.
Windows sounds, YouTube, MediaPlayer...

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

Jayzteroid, are you also on win 7 x64 ?

Yes, I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Sonicimage studio
W10 Pro 64bit

I have the same problem. Any audio being either played back or recorded on the computer is extremely distorted. Reducing the amplitude of the signal in question has almost no effect until it's been reduced by almost 120-130 dB. The same device works flawlessly on a Mac.
Just to emphasize: the Fireface itself does not overdrive the sound, as managing inputs and outputs using Totalmix works well, but any audio going into or coming out of the computer is distorted badly.
Windows 7 64 bit on a custom built i5 based computer, using latest driver.

Preglow, you could try rolling back to 0.938 and see if it works while we wait for a solution from RME. It did work for me.

I have exactly the same problem in Windows 7 x64. This is really annoying.
No problem with OSX Lion.

same problem here sad

RME: FireFace UC , Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) , iPad Air .

Posts like this don't help:

> I have exactly the same problem in Windows 7 x64.

> same problem here

You have to list your unit, driver version and firmware version...at least...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, bought my UC when first released and been working great up until yesterday.I install the lastest driver week ago and was working fine.Yesterday the UC seemd to be running funny on my PC the lvls on the inputs are  reading up and down with nothing connected and when play back any type of audio its like the lvls are a full max and everything is completly desorted to the max.Is this the lastest drivers? i hope. Where do i get the drivers that were before this release? I also did a complete reformat of harddrive and fresh OS install to see if that worked but no.thanks OS Windows7 64bit,Asus Rampage 4 extreme,X79 Chipset,LGA 2011 i7exteme,32gig ram. thanks.

> Is this the lastest drivers?

You are joking, right? fryingpan

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My setup with the problem is W7 Pro 64, FF UC 1.020 & 115.

Sonicimage studio
W10 Pro 64bit

Thanks for rolling back the driver in download driver area.Its working normal again.Did windows 7 64 update something this week that changed the sound driver files? Anyways RME UC is top of line for PC recording. cheers!!!! thanks

18 (edited by Rairun 2012-03-05 15:17:01)

I installed latest driver (1.020) for my new Fireface UC and then the latest firmware (115) on Windows 7 x64. Then i tried to play an mp3 and boom! Awful distortion whatever i listen to...
I changed UC's operating mode to AP and booted into OS X Lion (I use both without any problems, thanks to hackintosh). Installed the latest OS X driver. Everything worked OK.
I booted into Windows 7 again. Uninstalled the Fireface UC driver and installed the old one (0.938). But i didn't install the older firmware (111). Now UC works fine for both systems. It's obvious there is a problem with the latest Windows 7 driver.
The only problem now, please take a look at my topic:
Question about firmware

Yes I can confirm 0.938 with 115 is working........when I arrive at home I'll test 1.019 with 115. Cheers

Hi there,
I had the same problem this weekend with my FireFace UC ( Firmware 115 Driver 1_020) om my Windows Laptop.
Any playback sounded distorted and the software playback was clipping, no matter what software I used for playback. But the same time any input-signal was sounding Ok. The funny thing is 2 hours before I used that FF UC on my desktop computer (with the same driver version) there it was working OK.
First I thought it could be a hardware defect so I had the chance to borrow another FireFace UC from a friend and pluged it on my laptop, but the failure remained the same.
At last I deinstall the driver for FF UC and did a complete new installation, after that it worked, very strange HeadScratch

GA-X58A-UD3R,Corei7920@2,67GHz,12GBRam,Win7Ult.64B,Samp/Sequoia_11,ProX,D_&M_face,ADI8DS,FFUC.

vesastef wrote:

Hello,
I've the same problem with Fireface UC and my custom build workstation:
Windows 7 x64
Intel core i7 980
after a while that I installed driver 1.020.
A complete reinstallation of the driver solved the issue and until now I cannot reproduce it anymore, but I'm not sure why happened.
Cheers,
stefano

Hello All,
some other details on the setup where the problem occurred:

--> Fireface UC Firmware 115
--> driver 1.020
--> Intel DX58SO
--> Intel Core i7 980
--> 12 GB RAM
--> Nvidia Quadro 4000
--> HDs attached to ICH10 SATA ports
--> only mouse, Apple keyboard and Fireface UC attached to USB ports
--> Windows 7 x64 fully patched

The problem occurred either in WDM environment, playing a file with Media Player or in ASIO environment, playing a file with Foobar2000 + ASIO plugin.
As said, in my case a reinstallation of the driver 1.020 solved the problem, but I cannot say if the solution is definitive.

Thanks,
Stefano

Thanks for all the feedback. We removed driver 1.020 as it obviously causes trouble in W7 64. As the change was only for MS new USB bus driver in W8, and this one might change again until the final release, we are back to 1.019 and just continue working.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME