Topic: UCX and +48V

Hi!

When I enable +48V on the built-in MicPres of the UCX I hear a very high-pitched background noise. The volume of this noise is quite low but nevertheless is this normal or a service issue?

Re: UCX and +48V

What gain? What is connected to the input? What level does the meter in TM show? Ever checked the headphone output?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Bonzo3000 2012-03-07 10:22:55)

I did not give any gain to the MicPres
There is a condenser mike connected but the "noise" is there with or without the connection.
The meters change like this: Mic1 between -93 and -87dB with 48V and between -102 and -99 without 48V

How can I check the headphone out?

I should maybe add that it is a very high-pitched noise: I'd guess beyond 18KHz

4 (edited by Bonzo3000 2012-03-06 09:29:10)

1) Interestingly I get the same sound when I turn the encoder to SU and the sound follows the rhythm of the blinking channel LED.

Okay, when I select the Phones the sound resumes as long as the "channel" LED is on.
When I change to "level", the sound is off.

All this only happens with +48V engaged.

2) And the sound is amplified when I engage +48V in the second channel

3) Without +48V the sound reappears while turning the encoder to:
A3
A5
It's off in all other positions

4) There's also a sound (+48V off, encoder to phones) when I choose "level".

All in all, this seems to be a shielding problem of some kind.

The question is, can this be fixed or is it a feature? ;-)

Hi,

i am getting the same, or very similar problem here. I've already send my unit back th the reseller and recieved a new one - but the high pitched sound is still there... Seems to be a feature...

I am still in the "money-back" phase of the device, but apart from this noise I am really quite satisfied with the UCX. It's a great unit.
Although working for some hours with that squeaky hiss is probably not a must-have.

So I'd appreciate it, if RME could find out whether it is possible to "repair" this or whether it is "give-it-back or live-with-it".

Would be interesting to know if the UFX has the same problem or whether it is with the UCX only (maybe becaue of the smaller case)

Hi,

I've recorded that noise and send the file to RME support. We'll see...

Btw. i can't turn the sound completely off, it changes the pitch and the volume slightly by switching 48V of and on and by turning the encoder, but it never disappears.

Bonzo3000 wrote:

How can I check the headphone out?

How about connecting a headphone? :roll

Bonzo3000 wrote:

I should maybe add that it is a very high-pitched noise: I'd guess beyond 18KHz

Then you would not hear it. The sound is below 8 kHz, your unit is defective and will be replaced. Please tell me its serial number before you return it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mpa2 wrote:

Btw. i can't turn the sound completely off, it changes the pitch and the volume slightly by switching 48V of and on and by turning the encoder, but it never disappears.

Same same. Please send me the serial number before you return the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Same problem here. The strange thing with this background hiss :  it modulates with the digital display of the UCX (led flickering, level change with the rotary knob,…). Looks like an insulation problem…
Best regards,

UCX : S/N : 23382193
Alex.

Defective unit, please return to the retailer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi,

I have the same problem.  But after a bit of time, the high-pitched noise disappear.  (10 minutes after powered it on)

Also, is it normal when I disengaging the +48v generate a lot of noise?  Like a big "woushhhhhhhh" that slightly rolls off?
Also #2, the gain knob does glitches a bit (noise) when using it.

So....  should I return my sound card to the dealer?

Thanks!

PS:  Is the new UCX bug free? Because someone in this post returned its card and had the same problem with a "non-faulty" one.

> So....  should I return my sound card to the dealer?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Also, is it normal when I disengaging the +48v generate a lot of noise?  Like a big "woushhhhhhhh" that slightly rolls off?
Also #2, the gain knob does glitches a bit (noise) when using it

Same here but no pitch-noise problem. I suppose that burst noise or other kind of noise when engaging/disengaging +48V is normal ?

Depends on the microphone...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Mic-1 is DPA-4099G (miniature condenser for guitar) and make a  short burst of noise when engaging and only a kind of short, low and fade out "pshhheee" few seconds after disengaging.
Mic-2 is  a Crown GLM-200 (Miniature Electret condenser) and make a stronger burst of noise when engaging.

BTW, there is no problem with engaging/disengaging +48V while the mics are already plugged into the UCX ?

That is the only correct way to do it. Otherwise the inputs might get damaged.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the info. I did not found any reference about that in the manual. May be it should be put in "red" somewhere in the manual ?

JM

Hi Matthias,

I already post about the UCX noise (see above)....

The serial of my RME card is : 23373773....

But the problem is, the dealer doesn't want to exchange it for a new UCX.   He claims that RME does not recognize my card being among the faulty ones. 
I have to ship to you and wait.... soundcard less during that time.   Which is for me unacceptable, as I've bought it brand new and barely use it for an hour.
Also, as RME *usually* does good product, I've sold my old sound card.  Didn't knew I had to keep it in case the new one had a problem.

:-(

I've wrote an email to you, I hope you got it.  There is more information about the situation, names and contact informations.

Thanks.

Yann

I'm getting the same hiss. No cable or anything plugged in @ 35db the hiss is noticeable...is my unit faulty?

Reading all over it seems to be a very common problem
I will also return my unit , hoping that the new one I will get don't have the same issue
Thanks for all the posts
JAC

Hello.  I have the same problem. I hear a very high-pitched background noise when the knob is in PH from my headphones. when i rotate the knob  the pitch of the noise change. My number of ucx is 23382288. what can i do now.
thanks in advance Manos.

Hi - I've been dreaming for years of getting a UCX, and should find out in the next 2 weeks whether the $$ will be in to do that.

But now I'm worried about these sounds described in this thread. Can a mod please address the scope of this, mainly what are the odds that one I would buy would be similarly affected?

I would be purchasing as part of a pre-built system here in the US, if that is of any help.

Thank you!

desaviol wrote:

Hello.  I have the same problem. I hear a very high-pitched background noise when the knob is in PH from my headphones. when i rotate the knob  the pitch of the noise change. My number of ucx is 23382288. what can i do now.
thanks in advance Manos.

Contact your local distributor. While I expect this to be a warranty case I wonder why you come up with this after 1 year, as your unit is so old.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

alexis1 wrote:

Hi - I've been dreaming for years of getting a UCX, and should find out in the next 2 weeks whether the $$ will be in to do that.

But now I'm worried about these sounds described in this thread. Can a mod please address the scope of this, mainly what are the odds that one I would buy would be similarly affected?

I would be purchasing as part of a pre-built system here in the US, if that is of any help.

Thank you!

Hi - just following up on my post. I want to have my rig designed as much as possible ahead of time, hoping I get the $$ in the next couple of weeks. Really, really have had my eye on a UCX, but now I'm reading all these posts about bad sounds, and units having to be returned.

I'm wondering ... what was - or is? - the problem? One batch of hardware maybe. Has it all been fixed ... or do I need to worry that if I buy a UCX I could have the same problem?

Thanks, I don't mean to be a pest, but i hope someone from RME can address this to help me make a decision.

Regards,

Did anyone ever find out what the problem was with these units? Did replacements fix them?

I just bought one and haven't used it yet, so I'm wondering what the easiest way to find out if mine suffers from this issue is.

- Tim

RME  Thank you very much for the repair of my ucx...

tbessie wrote:

Did anyone ever find out what the problem was with these units? Did replacements fix them?

I was wondering the same thing here... I'm just about to spring for a UCX.

Thanks

Got the same problem, but my UCX is out of warranty. Is there any repair available?