1 (edited by Xul Solar 2012-03-13 18:40:22)

Topic: Digital Crackle on fireface 400

Hello

I seem to be having some problems with my fireface lately. Some weeks ago my fireface suddenly wasn't recognized by my iMac. It was a big hassle, but in the end it was simply solved by upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

The fireface then worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks, but now all of a sudden it has started to make some weird crackling noises. It's pretty difficult to explain what it sounds like, but it's very digital - it does not sound like overdrive or distortion (I'm not exactly sure what the english word for this is, but hopefully you know what I mean).

I'm pretty lost as for what to do, since both firmware and software is up-to-date, and since I didn't change anything before it stopped working correct. I've tried noodling around with the settings, following different troubleshooting guides (including the one in the manual), but without luck (I've changed the clock to master, tried setting the samplesize lower etc).

The really weird thing about this is, that it's almost like it sets in when e.g. changing chords on a guitar or something like that. Anytime I'd change from G to C it would make this noise, though it isn't consistently enough that I would say I'm sure this is the case.

I've pretty much isolated the problem to the fireface by trying to plugging an instrument directly into input 4, and setting this channel to talkback. Meaning that it's not when recording, but simply when playing. I guess it could still be the computer in some way, but it just seems more obvious that it's the fireface everything considered. The problem DOES NOT when playing back from an application like iTunes. It seems it's only when audio is put INTO the fireface.

Any suggestion?

BTW: Is there anyway to reset the fireface? Like holding down a button or something like that?

Re: Digital Crackle on fireface 400

I tried with a presonus firebox, which had the exact same problems, so I figure that it's in my computer anyway. Any suggestions are obviously still very welcome.