Topic: Digital sync question: chaining slaves mixing ADAT and Word Clock?

I recently added an Allen & Heath ZED R16, which can only be master with it's two ADAT i/o connections, to my setup.

I have a Multiface II which previously was Master, which has had a Mackie Onyx 800R ADAT slaved.

The Mackie 800R also has Word Clock in with termination.

I purchased a new Digiface, so I could connect the A&H R16.

I of course want to run all of this equipment synced.

If I take the Digiface slaved ADAT in from the A&H R16, can I run Word Clock out from the Digi to slave the Multiface Word Clock In, and then from the Multi Word Clock out to the Mackie 800R Word Clock in to slave the 800R?

Would there be any other/ better way to sync, given that the A&H R16 must be master and only has ADAT out without any other syncing options?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DF

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8

Re: Digital sync question: chaining slaves mixing ADAT and Word Clock?

OK ... I've learned that any mixed method of syncing that works, works. It's trial and error, but ideally using a star setting ... say ADAT to one device from the master, Word Clock to another and SPDIF to a third would be the best if you can get it to work. In other words, one master to slave connection is better than a chain of master to slave 1 to slave 2.

I was also told that it wouldn't be a good idea to run Word Clock in and out of the Multiface slaved 1 to the Digi, and then from the Multi slave 1 to another slave 2 device. The preferred method is to place a 'T' bnc connector on the Multiface Word Clock in and then connect through that to the Word Clock in of Slave 2 in the chain.

DF

UFX+, ADI-648, Win 10, i7 10 core 3Ghz 64 Gb, Cubase 9, PT 12.8