Topic: FFUC Word Clock Sync Issue

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but there appears to be no separate forum for RME's preamps.

I have an Octamic 1 connected to the Adat in on my FFUC. It's in external sync using the word clock connector to sync to the FFUC on internal Sync.
After 1.5 years flawless operation with this setup, yesterday it appeared that the Octamic had lost power.

Getting around the back of the rack to check physical connection did not help. I suspected the external power supply had gone bad so removed it and once my session was finished (I got by without the Octamic) I tested the voltage of the PSU with a multimeter and it appeared to be working fine.

So I then suspected a hardware fault on the Octamic and pulled the device out of it's rack and went looking for a fuse - but not. Then I reconnected the PSU and the Octamic sprang to life. Some head scratching later I decided to reconnect everything and hope for the best.

So it began to work but with issues. The signal lights flick green when the unit is first turned on (letting me know they are working) but not when plenty of mic level is going through a preamp.

The other issue is on the FFUC front panel it shows that Adat is connected (coming in from Octamic) but the light is flashing indicating the Octamic is not sync'd to the FFUC. I checked the WC cable and it's working fine.

Any thoughts folks?

Re: FFUC Word Clock Sync Issue

Forgot to say that once reconnected that sound coming from Octamic monitored via FFUC did appear to be OK.

There are two possible faults: the external power supply - cjhecking with a voltmeter is not enough, it needs the OctaMic as load to verify its operation. Or the internal power supply of the OctaMic has a problem. Please check the external ps voltage again under load.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply Matthias,

I'm not sure my tech skills fully understand how to test external PSU "under load". Do I plug in PSU to OctaMic in on position? If yes then where do I put my + and - meter tips to check voltage under load? (Hope that's clear?)

If I had another PSU rated at 12 volts DC 1.25 amps to test the Octamic with and it still showed the same problems would that indicate I have an internal PSU problem as you mention?

Kind regards