Topic: Have a Fireface UCX coming. Advice/Help

Hello,

I have a Fireface UCX coming on Mon. and was wondering if there's anything I should know or do first like which updates and firmware (will use USB). I've read a couple of posts around here that advice not to use the latest drivers or firmware because it was causing some issues don't know if that's old or recent.

Another thing..I have an Axe Fx and was wondering if anyone is using an Axe Fx with RME interface so they can tell me how to connect it to the Fireface. If you don't know what an Axe Fx is, it's an effects processor/amp sim. Can it be connected to the Fireface's front Mic/Line inputs?

Thanks in advance. journey

Re: Have a Fireface UCX coming. Advice/Help

It's always good to install latest official firmware and drivers.

Nothing huh? Nice helpful community! Can someone at least let me know if I can connect the Axe Fx (effects processor) to the UCX's front two Mic/Line inputs?

Hi,
The Axe FX and Axe FX II have a Digital I/O which technically would be best but it looks like using the digital I/O defeats some fot he functions of the units.

I would used the unbalanced analog I/O plugged into the rear line level I/O. Channels 5/6 would make the most sense for this.

The USB portion of the Axe FX would only be used for the editor not as an audio interface with your DAW.
Will this be a permanent setup? As in you will not be always unplugging to go play gigs and such?
If so then you might want to consider hooking the AXE FX up as a FX send Return using its Input 2 and FX return.

Plug you Guitar into either Instrument Inputs 3 or4 on the front of the the UCX. You can then use your DAW to route the dry input to the AXE FX for processing. Depending on what DAW you use this will allow for the AXE FX to be used in your mix on any signal not just the guitar.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ChrisLudwig wrote:

Hi,
The Axe FX and Axe FX II have a Digital I/O which technically would be best but it looks like using the digital I/O defeats some fot he functions of the units.

I would used the unbalanced analog I/O plugged into the rear line level I/O. Channels 5/6 would make the most sense for this.

The USB portion of the Axe FX would only be used for the editor not as an audio interface with your DAW.
Will this be a permanent setup? As in you will not be always unplugging to go play gigs and such?
If so then you might want to consider hooking the AXE FX up as a FX send Return using its Input 2 and FX return.

Plug you Guitar into either Instrument Inputs 3 or4 on the front of the the UCX. You can then use your DAW to route the dry input to the AXE FX for processing. Depending on what DAW you use this will allow for the AXE FX to be used in your mix on any signal not just the guitar.

Thanks Chris

Hello thanks for the reply. I have the older Axe Fx Standard so no usb connection. I installed everything with no issues at all and very quickly, everything was found and setup (as best I could going by common sense since I have no damn clue as to what I'm doing this is defenitely too much for me but man it sounds incredible) and I was off and running immediately.  I have the Axe Fx going to the front of the UCX into Inputs 3 and 4 and everything is fine. There's a ton I don't understand but as soon as I turned it on it blew me away. This thing is expensive for a reason and let me mention something else..not just the great sound but the build quality. You see my last unit was screwing up due to static (it would cause windows to act as if the interface was disconnected) this thing has no issues with it..the other day I accidentally shocked the living fuck out of it with static by sitting down and using the control to turn volume up but nothing happened. Great stuff here! ..and it sounds incredible.

Is there a reason you recommend connecting the Ax Fx to inputs 5 and 6? The last part..I'm sorry but I didn't understand any of it. When it comes to mixes and setting up things of this nature (audio) I have zero knowledge and I don't even know what most of the words mean. I always manage to learn from hands on experience and messing with buttons and such because I really have no idea. I try to read up on it and end up lost so I say, "screw it" and mess with things until something works. I use Presonus Studio One V2 and managed to record with it and everything. So all in all everything is working fine although I keep getting a message when I boot the PC that says: "Mismatch Detected - Channel and Fx settings of Device and TotalMix Fx are different".

This is how I have everything connected:
Monitors to "balanced line outputs" 1 and 2
Axe Fx to Inputs 3/4 on the front of UCX
Headphones to "Phones 7/8"

Then on TotalMix Fx I went under "assign" and set "Main Out" to AN 1/2 and "Phones 1" to PH 7/8 everything works fine (I think) but I keep getting the message.

Sorry for the long post man and thanks in advance.

Hi,

Is there a reason you recommend connecting the Ax Fx to inputs 5 and 6?

Line inputs 5/6 is line input level. Inputs 3 and 4 can act as either Line or Instrument.
The AXE FX should be putting out Line level from it's main outs.
I would keep inputs 3 and 4 open for plugging instruments in directly to the UCX for when you get around to using some of Studio Ones amp sim plugins.

getting a message when I boot the PC that says: "Mismatch Detected - Channel and Fx settings of Device and TotalMix Fx are different".

Make sure you are using the latest driver and firmware form the web site.
Are you hitting Yes or No when the window pops up?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hello,

Yes, I'm hitting "No" because I have everything setup how I want (I think, I mean it all works). I do have the latest driver and firmware.

I'll use 5/6 then for the Axe Fx.

Thanks.

?? Any idea why I keep getting that message?

I am also new to the Fireface UCX but I think I also got this message at some point.

If I remember correctly, the way to get rid of this message is to save your TotalMix setup (current state) into the device using the menu Options --> Store current state into device. I chose to save in the first preset as I believe this is the default preset on power up.

pcournoyer wrote:

I am also new to the Fireface UCX but I think I also got this message at some point.

If I remember correctly, the way to get rid of this message is to save your TotalMix setup (current state) into the device using the menu Options --> Store current state into device. I chose to save in the first preset as I believe this is the default preset on power up.

I think I did this once but I don't remember using "save state" I just used the little Blue light that says "Mix 1" on the right side..or something like that. I'll do what you suggested to see if it works.

Thanks man!