Topic: Laptop and Cd player question

Hi everyone,

First time posting, please be kind!!!

I have had a Fireface 400 for a year now, I must admit I love it! I use it over firewire fed by my DAW and have never had an issue, love the sound quality, latency or lack of it and general no trouble operation of the FF400.

I am moving my studio setup from some rented studio space into my house as a cost cutting exercise.

My question / problem is:

As well as using the FF400 with my DAW, I want to use it in standalone mode to listen to cd's from a cd player, a Marantz cd6004, through its optical output.

I also want to be able to listen to Mp3's, FLAC files, youtube etc from my personal laptop, an Acer timeline X 4820TG, which I believe its 3.5mm headphone out doubles up as an optical out.

How would you go about connecting the two without having to plug and unplug wires? Say for example, when wanting to change from listening to music from the CD player to music from the laptop?

I was thinking:
1) CD Player optical rca out to the rca optical in on the back of the FF400.
2) Laptop mini jack optical out into the toshlink optical in on the back of the FF400?

Would this work?

Or am I better off just using the analog outs of both the CD player / laptop to the analog ins of the FF400? Surely using the digital connections of both devices would see a significant improvement, in terms of absolute sound quality compared to the analog connections?

Sorry if its a noob question I have searched but cant find anything to really give me a concrete yes or no.

Much appreciated anyone who can and will help out.

Many thanks

S

Re: Laptop and Cd player question

Wow not one reply!

I know its a noob question so I can understand people not wanting to waste their time.

I guess I will have to just try it out and see what happens!

Thanks for looking.

RCA is coaxial, not optical. If the CD player has SPDIF out, this should be fine. You'll just need to switch the SPDIF In setting from ADAT to SPDIF depending on which source. This switching can only be done while the unit is connected (not stand alone).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by jazzym 2012-04-04 01:08:40)

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for the reply.

Ok so coaxial out from a cd player to coaxial in on the fireface should be ok? Cd player is a marantz cd6004 btw.

And Laptop mini jack optical out into the ADAT / toshlink optical in on the back of the FF400? Would this be ok for listening to FLAC and mp3's from the laptop HDD?

Many thanks for any help

Edit: Just read jeff's reply and I think he has answered my question, I will probably have to switch between the 2 sources as and when. But its my understanding that the above scenario should work. And if thats the case, happy days!

jazzym wrote:

Or am I better off just using the analog outs of both the CD player / laptop to the analog ins of the FF400? Surely using the digital connections of both devices would see a significant improvement, in terms of absolute sound quality compared to the analog connections?

An interesting question.  You are in a position to answer it!  Why not try and let us know?  I think you'll find it hard to tell the difference.

I do LOVE the audiophile world!  They want everything digital, for absolute squeaky-clean performance.  Then buy expensive summing amplifiers to add that analogue magic to their cold, harsh dighial mixes!   In a blind test, I wonder if they's really hear the difference?  :-)