Topic: Issue with my new fireface UC: MIDI out Led Flashing

Hello,

i have an issue with my RME fireface UC, when i use the encoder to set volume or I/O, the MIDI out LED flashing always (check my video on youtube)
http://youtu.be/QVe1Zo1Ll7M

Is it normal????

Thx in advance

Re: Issue with my new fireface UC: MIDI out Led Flashing

MIDI remote control data...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

there is no midi device connected on my RME. (you can look this on my video) And i never used the MIDI on my RME.

nothing, just power on, on my video. It come back from after sales service French SCV Hitech.
No software, no laptop, no MIDI connections, just power on with power supply.Check the youtube link in my previous email

Thx

In stand-alone mode the unit sends out MIDI remote commands (volume) when turning the knob. That is normal behavior.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by _cobi_ 2012-04-05 10:50:18)

oK THX, But why the unit sends out MIDI remote commands like volume in stand alone??? what is the utilility if i use just the AUDIO I/O and not the MIDI I/O of the unit. I don't understand

HeadScratch

what is the utilility if i use just the AUDIO I/O and not the MIDI I/O of the unit

Stand-alone remote control via a MIDI hardware controller. Needs of course MIDI commands. Otherwise the motor fader don't reflect the settings on the unit.

best regards
Knut

Ok for that, but it doesn't explain why my knob send a MIDI signal when nothing is connected to my unit

another reply or explaination please?

There is nothing to explain. Just ignore it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, but i have payed this unit 850€ and the warranty is stopped soon, so if it's normal, it's ok for me, but it's not logical... And i hope is not a short circuit inside the pcb

_cobi_ wrote:

Ok for that, but it doesn't explain why my knob send a MIDI signal when nothing is connected to my unit

The knob doesn't know whether anything is connected to the MIDI output, does it...? HeadScratch

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

watching my video on my first post. nothing is connected on my unit, and when i move my knob to set volume the MIDI out led flashing.For me it's not normal

DeadHorse

The MIDI data is sent all the time. If you connect a controller, then it works. If you don't connect a controller, it doesn't go anywhere. The UC has no way to determine whether you connected the controller or not.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

so for you Jeff is it normal?

The LED or "idiot light" is flashing to tell you that your unit is working properly :-)

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

ok thx, my friend has got the same unit and it doesn't do that. And in France SCVTech doesn't said same thing like you.

thank you very much all, for you feedback

Fireface UC manual:

29.7 Stand-Alone MIDI Control

When not connected to a computer, the Fireface UC can be controlled directly via MIDI. To
unlock the special stand-alone MIDI control mode first activate MIDI control in TotalMix (menu
Options, Enable MIDI Control). Turning this mode off is done with MIDI control deactivated.
Note: When not needed the stand-alone MIDI operation  should not be active, as the unit will
react on MIDI notes after power-on, and will also send MIDI notes.

Control is performed via the Mackie Control protocol. In stand-alone mode not all functions
known from TotalMix are available. Functions like Talkback, DIM, Mono, Solo, relative ganging
of the faders, Monitor Main and Monitor Phones are realized by complex software code, and not
present within the hardware.

Still many functions, and especially the most important functions to control the Fireface UC, are
implemented in hardware, thus available also in stand-alone mode:

• All faders and pans of the first and third row
• Mute of the input signal per channel
• Ganging via 'Select'
• Choice of the routing destination, i.e. the current submix
• Sending of LED and display data to the MIDI controller

The second row (software playback) is skipped in stand-alone operation. The Fireface UC
sends display data as brief information,  enabling an easy navigation through lines and rows.
Other data like PAN and miscellaneous status LEDs are supported as well.

In stand-alone mode the unit always operates in View Submix mode. Only this way the routing
destination can be changed, and several mixdowns/submixes can be set up quickly and easily.
Note: After power-on the Fireface UC does not update the connected MIDI controller. Therefore
the controller’s faders will not be set to the values stored within the unit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

how can i do to reset this settings because after flash update it's the same thing...

Uncheck "Enable MIDI control" in the TotalMix menu.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

it's already uncheck...

And I repeat: it is normal. This function can not be turned off anymore. Most probably your friend uses an older firmware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME