Topic: ff400 clock source issues

hi everyone.
i'm using ff400 on an I7 quad core pc processor with windows xp sp2.
recently I've noticed that while I'm recording my roland gaia synthesizer on channels 3 and 4, i get these crackles and pitch changes on cubase.
then i opened up firefece's properties window and i saw that while i was playing the synth, the clock source of my ff400 changed from internal to ltc. this disrupted cubase timing and makes weird crackles.
it seems that the problem only happens with healthy volume input gain (not distortion).
it's important to mention that my synth is connected to ff with nothing but audio cables and no usb connections.

is anyone familiar with this issue??

thanks in advance.
orel ruchti.

Re: ff400 clock source issues

HeadScratch

I have had recently a very similar problem, which I traced to input 4. First sign of trouble was losing synch during a tambourine overdub. The tambo was being mic'd through a UA preamp and routed to input 4. Glitch-a-rama! Took a while and many un-needed repatching of various pieces of gear and cabling before trying input 3. No problem.

My theory is that it's to do with the physical proximity of input 4 to what appears to be the clock part of the internal circuitry. Strong signals with high frequency components being leaked over into the clock signal. Last time it happened was with an acoustic guitar, same pre-amp etc, input 4.

It would be good to know whether this is something that can be rectified. An external clock doesn't seem like it would be a fix, being that the internal clock is still running the show, albeit in time with the external one, to my understanding.

Hopefully this thread gets some notice from those more knowledgeable.

Thanks,

hugh mcmillan

This can only happen (theoretically) with a wrong clock setting. Even if the 400 mis-interprets audio on input 4 as LTC, this will not be used for clocking as long as the clock source is set to Internal or an existing external clock source.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Right. All due respect, but the theory and the reality collide unmercifully here. I'm meticulous about my settings, and puzzled this problem one way and the other before trying input 3 rather than 4.

Internal clock is what I use. Macbookpro, 400-800 cable. No problem until this.

Interesting stuff..

hm

thecommittee wrote:

All due respect, but the theory and the reality collide unmercifully here.

If this happens (and there is no known issue otherwise), it is often an indication of a hardware issue... The unit may be in need of service.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I'll contact the local service folks. I'm in eastern Ontario, Canada; would someone be so kind as to direct me to the appropriate technician? Thank you

hm