Topic: Recording at desired levels using microphone and software playback

Ok, I'm a noob, and i can't figure out how to record in quicktime (video/audio) at desired levels. I have a guitar modeler plugged into input 3 and a backing track playing on an app on my mac.. Output levels are great and everything working as desired. When I go to record me playing guitar I hook up a mic to input 10 and adjust and input is registering and is all good. I open quicktime 10.1 and choose the RME 800 as my "microphone" source. When i record, the guitar signal is loud and present but the software playback of the backing track is at a very low level. I need them to be equal in level. I'm assuming this has something to do with quicktime. It seems to like the input 3 signal "better" than the software playback channel. Anyone know how i can fix this?

Re: Recording at desired levels using microphone and software playback

I'm wanting it to pick up my mic signal and not the input 3 or software signal. Clear as mud?

Re: Recording at desired levels using microphone and software playback

I think I need to be more clear.

RME 800

Fractal Axe II Modeler > Input 3
Backing track plays on software input
Mic > Input 10

When I start up quicktime 10.1 and select new movie recording i select the RME 800 as "microphone" source
I record guitar while backing track is playing. Output through monitors is gr8 and levels are perfect. Unfortunately, the recording picks up a pristine guitar signal but the backing track is at an extremely low level comparatively. I've tried to adjust input and output levels on the RME with no success. It's as if the quicktime app is picking up Input 3 directly and somehow reducing the level from the mic on input 10. I wish i could tell quicktime to only take the signal from input 10 (the mic) on the RME. But, I'd need a standalone mic via usb to do that. Anyone have nay ideas?