Topic: Disturbance whie recording thum strummed acoustic

I am getting a disurbance when i record an acoustic guitar when i play, say for example  the Low G and C notes togeher with my thumb:

http://soundcloud.com/songwaters/sampe-rme

I am using an AKG c414 but the problem comes even when recording direct from he guitar's pizeo pickups. The signal is NOT clipping and im strumming with normal force with my thumb, not harsh(though i think i shouldnt be there in that case too?)

Thanks
Jet

Re: Disturbance whie recording thum strummed acoustic

Could you make the file downloadable? Can't seem to play it somehow.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

done!

4 (edited by songwaters 2012-04-10 11:44:07)

can you hear? its there in my mdr nc  sony with noice canc on, with noice cancel off its not there (the bass noes are anyway too weak with NC off).

But Its there in my laptop speakers which are a ong way off from focusing on bass notes:P.

Its there when i use cd in of my guitar amp.

The second track on the soundcloud.com/songwaters page is recorded with this. One day while recording we gave up due to this problem but next day it was fine. We turned on the ac for some time to cool everything down and we dont know if it was because of that but it seemed to record fine that day. 

On the day of recording THIS clip i had kept the room cool but didnt seem to work:( Problem is not there when strummed with a pectrum.

Just writing it all in case any of this helps.

Also i have recorded much more bassy effect heavy electric guitar and it seemd to be fine.

I hear some distortion here, but it seems an analog thing. Are you sure it's not a purely acoustinc thing on the instrument itself? Also, have you tested another mic? Anyhow, not something that would appear to be an RME issue (btw, which device?).

Regard
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Im using RME babyface

Thing is, it happens both with the DI of the instument and the mic. The only thing common is the AD converters as the preamps for boh chanels are different. Could heat be an issue?

Ive put my ear close to the guitar and tried o hear it sounds clean. Also sometimes the disturbance is such that it cannot be canfused with acoustic dist.

I don't hear anything playing back the song except the recording.

depends on the speakers/headphones you use is not always there...

eh.. no.... if its there in a headphone its there in it constantly. Is not there in my in-ears but here in my over-ear. Depends on how the headphone/speaker responds the bass frequencies i guess? I could try posing a clip next time i have this problem if its worse.

I read your post and listened to your Soundcloud files. What are the phisical dimensions of the room you are recording in with your C414. This intermittent low frequency disturbance may be the sound of a room mode

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Thanks for your reply.

Off the bat its 4mx8m. Marble flooring, i record near a wall of glossed hard wooden cupboards along one full 4 m , kind of near o the corner of the room to get far away from the huge window on the other side. Can upload a pic later (and try recording in a different room ofcourse)

I so hope what you say is true. Is already making me feel better about life in genral.

Regards
Jet

The laws of physics of sound in a room dictate that bass energy is greater in the room corners. Experiment with microphone placement and with where you sit or stand when playing the acoustic guitar and trust your ears. Are the walls parallel? is the floor and celiing parallel and what is the height?

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC