1 (edited by markuse 2012-04-12 12:22:04)

Topic: babyface - analog out remote wheel issue

Hi,

minor problem but a little annoying: when muting the analog line out in the hardware output row of TotalMIX,  the remote wheel (set to output) cannot control  the fader anymore. Is that a bug?

Regards,
Markus

TM 0.97 RC1 MAC
usb driver 1.67, firmware v184
OSX LION

Re: babyface - analog out remote wheel issue

Hello RME,

have you been able to check on that? 

Thanks,
Markus

No, that is by design. The Babyface has no separate mute function in its hardware, so the fader has to stay on lowest position when using the wheel at the unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by markuse 2012-04-16 18:31:47)

Thanks for clearing up!

Is that Babyface - only, respectively do  UCX / UFX have hardware muting?

Markus

It would be  nice to get an answer to the question above. It's not so much about the remote wheel aspect but more about if there is any chance to really protect the speakers whenever there is a need to change the clock source or the source' clock. Quite often  there will be spikes torturing the speakers, no matter if channels are muted or not, at least on the ADAT outs.

Thanks,
Markus

You can not listen to the ADAT outs without using a DA-converter, and whatever happens then is a result of the ADAT converter's ability to detect  and mute an invalid input signal - or not. That has nothing to do with the volume set in the delivering unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by markuse 2012-04-23 16:06:26)

Yes, well I should have added that the point of the matter is, that whenever I hear a spike I do see it on the TM output busses, there is no spike impulse on the speakers otherwise, so its coming from the Babyface and/or the chain before.   That might be different  with other ADAT converters and setups but after all it would definitely help to be able to "hardware mute" the outputs.

I'm aware of the fact that most interfaces don't offer such a feature but due to all the possibilties you get with an RME interface + TM and the therefore wider range of applications  it would just be REALLY NICE to be able to "turn off the lights". That's why the question,  if that is any different with UCX / UFX..

Regards,
Markus

If you see a spike on the output busses then it will be gone with volume down. There is no difference to 'mute'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME