1 (edited by Miscreant 2012-04-12 19:29:59)

Topic: FF800, Win 7, Axe-Fx II - Latency Issue

Yesterday I for the first time hooked up my entire new set up--new computer, FF800, Axe-Fx II, etc. Having never done this before, I've run into a couple of problems, but fortunately the driver installation and firmware updates have gone really smoothly.

I spent quite a bit of time in the 'Sounds' menu of my computer trying to figure out exactly what should be disabled and what should be defaulted, and I now have sound coming through my monitors, fed by my FF800, when I go on youtube or listen to music. No problem.

But, I'm getting about .25ms (to guess) latency when I play guitar through my Axe-Fx. This happens even when I'm not using Reaper, my DAW. All I need to do is play my guitar and it comes through my speakers. So, for one, I'm not sure if this set up is right: perhaps it's the case that I should only be getting audio from my guitar when I open Reaper, create a track, then arm it? If so, then it seems I've done something wrong in the 'Sounds' menu of Windows.

Perhaps more interestingly, when I do open Reaper, it says I only have about 2.3ms of latency, which is great. But even with it opened, and with a track armed, I'm still hearing approx. .25ms of latency. And I'm seeing my levels in the track rise when I play, but nothing is indicated in my master track. I'm not sure if that should be the case...

Anyways, initially when I opened Reaper it had me at about 23ms of latency, but then after doing some reading I disabled the Nividia and the Realtek High Definition Audio soundcards on my computer and that brought the latency down--according to Reaper--to around 2.3ms, as I said.

So, in short, my question is: why am I getting so much latency, even though Reaper says it's so low? Is this a FF800 issue, a DAW issue, or a configuration issue in my 'Sounds' menu on Win7?

Oh, and yes, I've brought my buffer size down to 48 on both the FF800 and on Reaper...didn't do anything.

Computer specs:

Win 7
Asus p9x79 deluxe mobo
Intel 7 3930k
Lacie TI PCI-E card

Help much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Oh, and I'll add how I've hooked things up:

The Axe-Fx is a) hooked up to my computer via USB and b) to the FF800 through a TRS to XLR cable (not sure if this is right, but there's no USB port on the RME and I think I need to hook up the Axe via USB to the computer to, for instance, use the Axe-Edit program)

Then the RME is hooked up to the computer via firewire 800 into a Lacie TI firewire card.

Re: FF800, Win 7, Axe-Fx II - Latency Issue

What is your ASIO buffer of the driver?

How do you connect from Axe FX to FF800? Digital in/out, or analog in/out?

3 (edited by Miscreant 2012-04-12 19:38:55)

The ASIO buffer is 48, as I've set it in Reaper. Same setting in the fireface settings box.

The Axe is connected to the FF800 via analog in/out (TRS to XLR).

Oh, and I just downloaded the DPC latency checker. Says my system has no latency problems...

*scratches head*

Latency as in delay and DPC latency is not the same...

Does the audible latency vary with the buffer size setting in the FF configuration menu?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oh, okay. Didn't know that.

And no, the audible latency doesn't vary with the buffer size setting.

6 (edited by Miscreant 2012-04-13 19:46:16)

Anyone else have any suggestions? Much appreciated if you do.

Are you meaning to state "0.25 seconds" of latency (250ms)?  0.25ms (1/4 of a millisecond) of audio latency is un-detectable for anything other than combining similar signals (comb filtering).

Are you sure you have the RME Driver selected in your Audio Application?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Hey, yeah, I meant 250 ms of latency, not .25.

But yeah, a super helpful guy on the helpline figured this all out for me. Thanks anyways for your help.

So what was the solution?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Indirectly, making me less ignorant. More directly, turning off the 'listen to device' option for most of the devices the Sound Menu in Win7. Turns out windows was in some sense 'co-opting' the signal and feeding it through other other drivers (or something), a) giving me latency and b) explaining the discrepancy between that latency and how much latency Reaper was saying I had.

I turned this option on for most devices because I assumed I'd want that. Turns out I was wrong. All is good now. And the guy was extremely helpful/friendly. Very appreciated.

Good to hear it's working....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME