1 (edited by Skeletron 2012-04-13 20:44:56)

Topic: Attenuator for Babyface with BM5a Mkii monitors?

I'm using a Babyface with a pair of Dynaudio BM5a Mkii monitors. These monitors have no volume pot, just a level switch for -10, 0, or +4 (I have it on the lowest setting, -10).

With Software Playback at 0, I usually have AN 1/2 down at -20. AN 1/2 at -13 is quite loud.

Should I get an attenuator? Does anyone have experience? Can you recommend a specific product?

Re: Attenuator for Babyface with BM5a Mkii monitors?

Set the Monitors to +4 and your levels will be more in-line with the RME's default +4 output setting.  There's not much harm in running Totalmix around -20 to -12 or so, but I do understand the desire to get closer to "unity"...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Randyman... wrote:

Set the Monitors to +4 and your levels will be more in-line with the RME's default +4 output setting.  There's not much harm in running Totalmix around -20 to -12 or so, but I do understand the desire to get closer to "unity"...

cool

I don't understand how the +4 level setting (the highest setting) will put my monitors more "in-line" with the Babyface though. Can you please explain?

With the monitors at +4 I have to lower the Babyface's AN 1/2 output in TotalMix way down to around -40 for a comfortable listening experience. At least with the monitors at -10 (the lowest setting) I can hover around -20 to -12 in TotalMix.

Thank you!

Set the switches on the monitors to the +4 position.  This means they need more voltage to drive them for the same sound output.  If you set the Babyface output level to -10 it means this is the level of output for 'full-scale' level on TotalMix, and is the same as placing about 14dB of attenuation between the BabyFace and the BM5As.  And it means you can't accidentally drive them to full output.

I find the best solution for active monitors is a NanoPatch monitor controller between the BabyFace and the active speakers.  Set this to a convenient output level for normal 0dB peak output as should on the output meters.  Fixed attenuations of 15dB to 25 dB can also work well.  Being passive devices, they have no effect on the sound.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

All correct, but the BF does not have a selectable output level reference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I still don't understand why I should set the monitors to +4 when my problem is that the volume is too loud. The +4 setting of the monitor's level switch boosts the volume and -10 reduces the volume.

From the BM5a Mkii manual:

5. Level Trim
Use this switch to match the sensitivity of the
BM5A MKll monitor to your source.
High-output Source
If your source has a high output, set switch to
the -10 position to reduce sensitivity by 10dB.
Low-output source
If your source has a low outout, set switch to
the +4 position to gain 4dB more sensitivity

Thanks for the NanoPatch suggestion.

Skeletron wrote:

I still don't understand why I should set the monitors to +4 when my problem is that the volume is too loud. The +4 setting of the monitor's level switch boosts the volume and -10 reduces the volume.

From the BM5a Mkii manual:

5. Level Trim
Use this switch to match the sensitivity of the
BM5A MKll monitor to your source.
High-output Source
If your source has a high output, set switch to
the -10 position to reduce sensitivity by 10dB.
Low-output source
If your source has a low outout, set switch to
the +4 position to gain 4dB more sensitivity

Thanks for the NanoPatch suggestion.

That'll be the confusion!

I, like other people assumed that it was a sensitivity switch in the other direction!

Good to know for future reference.

Isaac P

Ah yeah. I can see why it could be confusing.

This is indeed quite confusing (esp. given the choice of -10 and -4), but I had a suspicion it might be related to the speaker...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

MC wrote:

All correct, but the BF does not have a selectable output level reference.

Whoops!  (It's always a good day when you learn something new.)

-10/+4???  Perhaps something was lost in the translation ...

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

The question remains: with monitors at the lowest level, a comfortable level for AN 1/2 in TotalMix is approximately -20. Is that dangerous? If there's not much harm, I think I'll just leave it. I'd rather not have extra cables and devices in the output path.

-10 and +4 sure are odd choices for a "Pad" and a "Boost" as they do make it very confusing with the "+4dBu / -10dBv" standards.  Even stranger coming from a reputable manufacturer like Dynaudio.  +10 and -4 would seem to make more sense when looking at it from that angle :-)

The only drawback of running TotalMix at -20 is if a full-scale signal DOES happen to make it past Totalmix - you can probably kiss your tweeters goodbye (and maybe your woofers, too).  You also lose a bit of SNR, but shouldn't really be losing any "resolution" per se.

FWIW - I feed a 4000Watt PA system and 1400Watts of monitor wedges directly from TotalMix (no passive attenuators or other volume controls between the DAC and the processor inputs) - and I've had very few issues over many years (nothing serious) - so as long as you know TotalMix well and are a little cautious - you should be fine...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I did run into a problem last month when I made the dumb mistake of having my monitors on when I first booted up my laptop with the Babyface. The Windows 7 startup sound that plays at the login screen blasted through the monitors at full volume and scared the shit out of me because TotalMix does not load until after logging in. I've disabled all of the Windows system sounds since then and leave my monitors off until logged in. I hope that one incident didn't hurt my monitors. I got them at the same time I got the Babyface so I can't really tell if they sound worse than before.

The BM5a Mkii manual says the monitors have some automatic protection from overloading but I don't know. It was pretty loud but I guess they should be fine.

BM5a Mkii manual:

Protection
On the tweeter output there is an overload
protection to prevent burning the tweeter driver
in case of overloading. This circuit will mute the
tweeter signal if too much current is fed to the
tweeter.
The woofer channel has a built in limiter that
protects the woofer unit from too much excursion.
It works by reducing the gain of the
circuit when a certain threshold level is
reached.

14 (edited by Gr8h8m 2012-04-17 02:58:58)

Hey - you should try searching the forum. Lots of good info and most problems/issues have already been covered, including this one :-)
A search for "attenuators" will tell you that what you want are a pair of Shure A15AS switchable attenuators:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ … attenuator
Been using them on the end of my BFs outputs for over a year now - work great.

Thanks! That looks perfect. I'll order a couple.

Nano patch passive volume control, 40 quid in uk, just use real short cables, ive got 3 foot cables to Dynaudio bm6a no hf roll off, perfect sound.